Council of Ministers to Be Headed by King Mohammed VI Postponed

Rabat – Previously scheduled for Tuesday, the Ministerial Council chaired by King Mohammed VI has been postponed to Wednesday, January 17. The Council of Ministers, which will take place in Casablanca’s Royal Palace, is expected to discuss and adopt several key pieces of legislation, including the draft law on the reform of the national education plan.The first of its kind meeting in 2018 is also expected to examine the vacant ministerial positions within the government of Saad Eddine El Othmani.Following a report presented to the King by the President of the Court of Auditors, Driss Jetou, on October 24 revealing “serious dysfunctions,” in Al Hoceima development project, the King sacked four ministers and several high profile officials. The list of the sacked ministers included former Minister of Education Mohamed Hassad and Larbi Bencheikh, the former Secretary of State in charge of vocational training, as well as Progress and Socialism Party’s (PPS) head Mohamed Nabil Benabdellah, the former Minister of Housing, and his co-party member El Houssaine El Ouardi, the former Minister of Health.El Othmani told his party’s online outlet that he is in talks with the PPS and the Popular Movement (MP) to find ministers to substitute the four ministers dismissed on October 24. The Head of Government said that he talked with the leaders of PPS and MP and asked them to suggest names to assume the vacant ministerial positions. read more