Bundesliga at Stake as Bayern, Dortmund Meet in ‘Klassiker’

first_imgBERLIN (AP) — Bayern president Uli Hoeness was on the field when his team earned its most-lopsided victory over rival Borussia Dortmund, an 11-1 rout in 1971.Hoeness, then a sprightly forward and soon to be a World Cup champion, scored two of those goals to go along with another four from Gerd Mueller, the German great known as Der Bomber.Bayern’s objective on Saturday won’t be to eclipse that 48-year-old mark, it’ll just be to eclipse Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga standings.“If we don’t win, I’d still like to be German champion, but then we wouldn’t really deserve it, looking back on the first game,” Hoeness said, referring to the 3-2 loss to Dortmund earlier in the season. “Our team has to show that they want to be champions with a win over Dortmund.”Borussia Dortmund leads the league by two points heading into the match. A win would give the team a five-point lead with six matches to go. A loss, however, would put Bayern back on top and on course for a record-extending seventh straight title.“The winner will take a giant step toward the championship,” said Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski, who previously played for Dortmund.Bayern arguably has an easier run-in, finishing with a home game against Eintracht Frankfurt while Dortmund visits Champions League-chasing Borussia Moenchengladbach.Bayern, however, was almost embarrassed at home by second-division club Heidenheim in the German Cup on Wednesday. Reduced to 10 men after 15 minutes, Bayern was forced to bring on Lewandowski to turn a one-goal halftime deficit into a 5-4 win.Following that hard-fought victory, tiredness may be a factor against Dortmund.“On Saturday, 6:30 p.m., there can’t be any excuses. The side has to deliver against Dortmund,” Hoeness told news agency dpa. “I’m not even thinking of a defeat. We have to win, there’s no alternative for me.”Before last weekend’s 1-1 slip-up at Freiburg allowed Dortmund to reclaim the league lead, Bayern had scored 17 goals in its previous three Bundesliga matches. So scoring isn’t really a problem, but Heidenheim showed that defending might be.Bayern will be hoping goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and defender David Alaba are back from injuries, while Dortmund has a bigger problem in defense with Achraf Hakimi out for the rest of the season with a broken foot and Abdou Diallo and Lukasz Piszczek both doubtful. Raphael Guerreiro could fill in at left back, while captain Marco Reus is back after the birth of his first child.Paco Alcacer, who scored two injury-time goals in Dortmund’s 2-0 win over Wolfsburg last weekend, fell on his arm in the game and wasn’t able to train properly.Dortmund coach Lucien Favre said it was “hard to say” whether Alcacer will play.Dortmund’s recent record in Munich also does not bode well for a win. The last three games ended in losses with two goals scored and 15 conceded.Favre isn’t just thinking about Saturday’s match, however.“It’s a bit special,” the Dortmund coach said. “But there are seven games to go. If we win it’s not yet done. If we draw it’s not yet done. If Bayern wins, everything is also still open.”By: Ciarán Fahey, Associated PressTweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Jonathan Vilma Expects To Play This Weekend

Jonathan Vilma, the New Orleans Saints  linebacker who has been embroiled in the bounty scheme saga, says that he will come off the physically unable to perform list after an equally lengthy battle with a knee injury.“I’ll be allowed to practice, I’ll be allowed to play versus Tampa Bay (Sunday),” Vilma said, according to WVUE-TV in New Orleans.Vilma’s lawyers, meanwhile, filed a 29-page motion Monday in a Louisiana court to vacate his season-long suspension, seeking “to put a halt to the ongoing and fundamentally unfair treatment of Jonathan Vilma by … Roger Goodell.”In papers filed in U.S. District Court in New Orleans on Monday, Vilma says Goodell engaged in a “farcical review” of his previously vacated disciplinary action before reaffirming the Saints linebacker’s full-season ban last week.Although Vilma has an appeal pending within the framework of the NFL’s labor agreement, the linebacker argues that Goodell has continued to abuse his power and demonstrate bias, leaving no hope for a fair process that would respect Vilma’s “industrial due process rights.”Vilma also asks U.S. District court Judge Ginger Berrigan to bar Goodell from handling any further action in the bounty matter and appoint a neutral arbitrator.“Goodell’s manifest bias and partiality is palpable, reflected in his many judgmental, accusatory and unsupported public accusations against Vilma and manifested in a procedure he has invoked which rips at the heart of any notion of fundamental fairness and due process in order to punish Vilma for acts he did not commit,” the motion reads.Vilma, who went on the PUP list in Week 2, has been dealing with the injury to his left knee since last season and has had numerous procedures, including the now popular platelet-rich plasma therapy in Germany.“I’m feeling good, feeling good,” Vilma said, according to the station. “I know that the media hasn’t seen much of me for a while, but I’ve actually been working out, working hard, training hard so I can get to this point to be able to give our team a chance to win in Tampa Bay.”Vilma was suspended for one season for his role in the Saints bounty scandal, but the penalty was vacated on a technicality. Goodell has now reinstated his suspension, and Vilma has appealed, along with Will Smith, Anthony Hargrove and Scott Fujita.The appeal asks that Goodell recuse himself from the proceedings on the grounds that he can’t be impartial.All four players are eligible to play or at least get paid until the NFL rules on their latest appeals. The new appeals hearings likely will take place a week from Tuesday, according to a source. read more

Man stabbed during fight at Oceanside Convenience store

first_img OCEANSIDE (KUSI) – A fight between two men at a North County convenience store escalated Friday into a stabbing that left one of them hospitalized and the other under arrest, police said.The 9:30 a.m. fracas happened at the ampm [sic] minimart in the 1500 block of Melrose Drive, Oceanside police Lt. Kedrick Sadler said.Following the stabbing, the assailant allegedly fled on foot; medics took the victim to a trauma center, where he was admitted in stable condition with wounds to his upper body, according to Sadler.Officers searched the area with help from a sheriff’s patrol helicopter, eventually finding the suspect at a business in the 700 block of North Avenue in Vista, several blocks south from the assault.The alleged assailant, whose name was not immediately available, was taken into custody without incident about 11:15 a.m., the lieutenant said.It was unclear what sparked the violence. January 4, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: January 4, 2019 KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, Man stabbed during fight at Oceanside Convenience storelast_img read more