Saint Mary’s withdraws option to remain in residence halls during COVID-19 campus changes, excluding select students

first_imgSaint Mary’s students will no longer be provided the option to remain in their residence halls until at least April 13, interim President Nancy Nekvasil announced in email Friday. Junior and senior nursing students in clinicals, senior student teachers, international students and a select group of Residence Assistants, Ministry Assistants and IT student employees are excluded from this change. “In the past 24 hours, circumstances have changed dramatically regarding the coronavirus pandemic,” Nekvasil said. “Consensus among public health officials is that if organizations act decisively to minimize the risk of transmission, it can greatly reduce the severity of the outbreak. It is our responsibility to help slow the spread of the virus, both at Saint Mary’s and in our greater community.”This update follows the extension of spring break to March 20, and the implementation of online coursework starting March 23 through at least April 13. In the original announcement, students were offered the choice to return home during this time or remain in the dorms. This is no longer the case.Students “who believe they have a special circumstance” are instructed to contact interim vice president for student affairs Linda Timm.“Unless you have permission to be on campus, do not visit,” Nekvasil said.Those who have filled out online forms detailing plans to return to campus for various reasons may not be accommodated, she said, unless they meet the required criteria. In response to student concerns, the College has created a list of FAQs on their website. Additional questions should be directed to the office of student affairs.Students may return to retrieve their personal belongings, the webpage states, but will not be allowed to stay the night and must be out of the dorms by noon Tuesday.“The health and safety of our students, faculty and staff is a top priority,” Nekvasil said. “We will continue to assess the situation and provide further updates as they are warranted. I am confident that, as we continue to work together, we will do what is necessary in these unprecedented times.”Tags: coronavirus, COVID-19, Interim President Nancy Nekvasil, Linda Timm, Office of Student Affairs, residence hallslast_img read more

Panthers crush Yamaha Caribs 39 – 0- GDF ready to test ‘sting’ of Pepsi Hornets today

first_imgPANTHERS  Rugby Club picked up their second win in the Guyana Rugby Football Union (GRFU) Bounty Farm 15s tournament, crushing the Yamaha Caribs 39 – 0 yesterday at the National Park.Panthers came into the game looking for redemption after suffering a 26 – 36 loss at the hands of the  hungry-looking, Pepsi Hornets last weekend, and thanks to tries from Rondell ‘Bull’ McArthur, Godfrey Broomes, Malcolm Rhodia and Lancelot Adonis, the eventual winners raced to a 20 – 0 lead at the end of the first half.Godfrey Broomes, caught by Chronicle Sport photographer, Adrian Narine, about to score a try against Yamaha Caribs at the National Park, yesterday. Panthers defeated the Caribs 39 – 0.Theodore Henry, despite his presence, could not have helped the aged Yamaha Caribs team, who had no stops for Lloyd Anderson in the game’s second stanza.Anderson scored 17 points in the second half – three tries and a conversion – while Broomes made good of one conversion to put the Panthers tally to 39 – 0.Meanwhile, from 16:00 hrs today, in what is anticipated to be one of the biggest clash of the Bounty Farm 15s, Pepsi Hornets will look to keep their ‘sting’ in the tournament alive when they collide with the Guyana Defence Force (GDF).National Captain Ryan Gonsalves, will team up with the likes of Rickford Cummings and others, as he attempts to out-muscle a very stubborn GDF team.Last week, the Hornets had the ‘beast’ Kevin Mckenzie in their corner, but, today, with the country’s top player heading back to Australia, it will be interesting to see how Gonsalves and his troops fare against Patrick King, Avery Corbin and Dwayne Schroeder, who are the usual top performers for the Army.last_img read more

Video:Watch Kevin-Prince Boateng leave the pitch after suffering racist abuse

first_imgFormer Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder left the field after AC Milan players were abused in a friendly against Pro Patria.Former Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng left the field in protest after suffering what his club AC Milan described at racist abuse during a friendly today.The game between Milan and fourth division Pro Patria was abandoned after Boateng stopped mid-play in the 26th minute, picked up the ball and kicked it into the crowd.The Ghana midfielder then tore off his shirt and walked off the field at the opposite end. On his way, he applauded other sections of the crowd, who then appeared to react angrily towards the corner of the ground from which the chants came, reports the Press Association.Pro Patria’s Dario Alberto Polverini attempted to talk to Boateng as he departed, but the midfielder carried on walking and the rest of the players and officials followed him off the pitch.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri told reporters: “We are disappointed and saddened by what has happened. “Milan play for the right to respect all players. We need to stop these uncivilised gestures.“We are sorry for all the other fans who came here for a beautiful day of sport. We promise to return, and we are sorry for the club and players of Pro Patria, but we could not make any other decision.“I hope it can be an important signal.”The match was goalless at the time, with Muntari having had a goal disallowed for offside.Boateng took to Twitter to give his thoughts in a succinct message. He said: “Shame that these things still happeninglast_img read more