Woman claims ex-NBA star raped her during her sophomore year at Duke

first_imgFebruary 12, 2019 /Sports News – National Woman claims ex-NBA star raped her during her sophomore year at Duke Written by Beau Lundcenter_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailStreeter Lecka/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The same woman who has accused Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax of sexual assault says that former N.B.A player Corey Maggette raped her 20 years ago when the two were both students at Duke University.Meredith Watson, the second woman to come forward with claims of sexual assault against Fairfax, says that she reported the alleged incident involving Maggette to school officials, who she says did not act on the information.An attorney for Watson, Nancy Erika Smith, confirmed the claim to ABC News in a statement. The incident and claim were first reported by the New York Times.ABC News has reached out to representatives for Maggette, who attended Duke for one year and played in the N.B.A for 14 years, but have not yet received a response.In a statement given to the New York Times, Maggette denied Watson’s claim.“It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson’s lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations,” Maggette wrote. “I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge.”Fairfax has also denied the claims made against him by Watson.“I deny this latest unsubstantiated allegation. It is demonstrably false. I have never forced myself on anyone ever,” Fairfax wrote in a statement released last week after Watson’s accusation became public.Whitney Burak, a spokesperson for Fox Sports, where Maggette is now a basketball commentator, issued a statement to ABC News responding to the claims against Maggette.“FOX Sports takes allegations of misconduct seriously, and we are looking into the matter. We have no further comment at this time,” Burak said.Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations at Duke University issued a statement on Monday saying, “We are in the process of gathering information to determine what policies and procedures were in place during the time period in which these events are alleged to have occurred and whether they were activated and followed. We are not able to provide further information or comment on any individual at this time.”In Facebook messages obtained by ABC News, Watson communicated with a friend, whose identity has been redacted, about the alleged incidents involving Fairfax and Maggette. The Facebook Messenger communications are dated March 19, 2017.Watson sent a link to an article about Fairfax’s 2017 campaign for lieutenant governor of Virginia to the friend, with an accompanying message that read: “This is absolutely disgusting! This dude raped me.”When the friend questioned why she didn’t report it, she responded: “You know I didn’t report it after how the university responded when I reported Corey Maggette…but he told me he [Fairfax] did it on purpose bcuz of what Corey did and bcuz he knew I’d be too scared to do anything about it.”ABC News also reached out to R. Stanton Jones, a childhood friend of Watson’s, who confirmed that Watson told him about the alleged rape involving Maggette in the summer of 2001 when the two were home for the summer from college.While this is the first accusation to surface against Maggette, Fairfax was also accused of sexual assault by another woman, Vanessa Tyson, an associate professor of politics at Scripps College in California.Tyson, who is scheduled to speak tonight at sexual violence symposium at Stanford University on Tuesday evening, says that Fairfax sexually assaulted her in 2004 when the two of them attended the Democratic National Convention in Boston.Fairfax says the encounter was consensual.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Ighalo to Decide China Move this Week

first_imgWatford striker Odion Ighalo will decide this week whether he will follow fellow Nigeria star John Mikel Obi and take the “crazy money” China now offers.Ighalo has long been linked with a big-money transfer to China and it has been reported there is now a renewed interest in the striker from the Far East.Media reports have suggested he could well partner Carlos Tevez at Shangai Shensua after Watford rejected a 38 million pounds bid for the striker from Shangai SIPG last year.Shangai Shensua have now made Tevez the highest paid player in the world on a weekly wage of 615,000 pounds.In the summer, Ighalo signed a new five-year contract with ‘The Hornets’ to cool off interests from China.“Yes, it’s a possibility he could move to China,” one top source disclosed to AfricanFootball.com“There should be an update in this regard this week.”Ighalo, whose international future remains in the balance on account of lack of goals for the Super Eagles, spoke of having sleepless nights before he decided not to take “the crazy money” tabled before him from China.Watford manager Walter Mazzarri has tried to avoid being part of the speculations surrounding Ighalo’s future, insisting he remains with the Premier League club.On Saturday, the 27-year-old Ighalo played the entire game as Watford went past Burton Albion 2-0 to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup.He has only managed a goal in 17 appearances in the league, a far cry from the 15 goals he netted in his debut season in the English top flight. Meanwhile, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has praised Mikel’s contribution to ‘The Blues’ in the 10 years he was at the club.Mikel has left for Chinese club Tianjin Teda after he lost his first-team place on arrival of Conte at Stamford Bridge.Conte said he believes the move will be a new challenge for the Nigeria skipper after an eventful time at Chelsea.“Mikel played many years with this club and won a lot. But there is a moment you want to change, get a new experience,” Conte said at a media briefing“I wish for him and his family the best.”The Nigeria midfielder joined Chelsea in 2006 after controversially opting out of a contract with Premier League rivals Manchester United.Besides winning all the major honours in England, he also won the UEFA Champions League and Europa League. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Video:Watch Kevin-Prince Boateng leave the pitch after suffering racist abuse

first_imgFormer Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder left the field after AC Milan players were abused in a friendly against Pro Patria.Former Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng left the field in protest after suffering what his club AC Milan described at racist abuse during a friendly today.The game between Milan and fourth division Pro Patria was abandoned after Boateng stopped mid-play in the 26th minute, picked up the ball and kicked it into the crowd.The Ghana midfielder then tore off his shirt and walked off the field at the opposite end. On his way, he applauded other sections of the crowd, who then appeared to react angrily towards the corner of the ground from which the chants came, reports the Press Association.Pro Patria’s Dario Alberto Polverini attempted to talk to Boateng as he departed, but the midfielder carried on walking and the rest of the players and officials followed him off the pitch.Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri told reporters: “We are disappointed and saddened by what has happened. “Milan play for the right to respect all players. We need to stop these uncivilised gestures.“We are sorry for all the other fans who came here for a beautiful day of sport. We promise to return, and we are sorry for the club and players of Pro Patria, but we could not make any other decision.“I hope it can be an important signal.”The match was goalless at the time, with Muntari having had a goal disallowed for offside.Boateng took to Twitter to give his thoughts in a succinct message. He said: “Shame that these things still happeninglast_img read more

Trump: COVID-19 Crisis Could last until July

first_imgPresident Donald Trump urged Americans to avoid traveling and gathering in public spaces in an effort to blunt the spread of the coronavirus, saying the outbreak could last into July or August.“If everyone makes this change, or these critical changes and sacrifices now, we will rally together as one nation and we will defeat the virus,” Trump said in the White House briefing room. “We’re going to have a big celebration all together.”Trump announced the new guidelines during a press briefing Monday afternoon. Officials recommended that for the next 15 days Americans avoid gatherings of more than 10 people; avoid discretionary travel; avoid eating in bars, restaurants and food courts; and work or engage in schooling from home when possible.“We’d much rather be ahead of the curve than behind it,” Trump said.The president’s comments on Monday marked his most direct appeal yet for Americans to take the virus seriously and avoid public settings where the coronavirus can be easily spread.Trump told reporters that the coronavirus could continue to factor into American life into July or August.“They think August, it could be July, could be longer than that,” Trump said, referring to answers he has gotten when consulting public health officials on the timeline. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, clarified after Trump’s remarks that the guidelines would not necessarily last until the summer months but rather that timeline was one potential trajectory of the coronavirus outbreak. “The guidelines are a 15 day trial guideline to be reconsidering,” Fauci said. “It isn’t that these guidelines are going to be in effect until July. What the president was saying is that the trajectory of the outbreak may go until then.”Trump signaled agreement with him from the podium. Trump also said he wasn’t considering a nationwide lockdown, but that “certain areas” of the country with large numbers of cases could take such measures.“At this point, not nationwide,” the president said. “We may look at certain areas, certain hotspots as they call them.”A number of state and local officials have already ordered closures of restaurants, bars, schools and other public places in order to mitigate the spread of the virus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Sunday evening also recommended that Americans cancel gatherings of 50 or more people for the next eight weeks. Fauci urged American citizens to take the new guidelines seriously even if they seemed to go “too far.” “When you’re dealing with an emerging infectious disease outbreak, you are always behind where you think you are if you think that today reflects where you really are,” Fauci said. “We hope that the people of the United States will take them very seriously because they will fail if people don’t adhere to them,” he said. We’re not thinking in terms of recession. We’re thinking in terms of the virus,” the president continued. “Once we stop, I think there’s a tremendous pent-up demand both in terms of the stock market, in terms of the economy.”The president’s remarks came as rising fears about the impact of the coronavirus on the economy sent stock prices into freefall Monday. The Dow Jones industrial average collapsed 2,999 points, or 12.9%, to close at 20,188.52 – its second worst percentage loss in history behind the “Black Monday” crash in 1987.last_img read more

Jwala Gutta points finger at Pullela Gopichand for favouritism, details racist abuse

first_imgImage Courtesy: FPJ/GettyAdvertisement yqydNBA Finals | Brooklyn VsaWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eusba( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 4hWould you ever consider trying this?😱btnyqCan your students do this? 🌚1k3sihpRoller skating! Powered by Firework Jwala Gutta, India’s badminton icon and one of the most inspiring sportspersons of the country, has often made headlines for her outspoken nature. However, Jwala recently revealed that being straightforward had her facing difficulty in career, and the sole person she holds accountable for the damage is none other than the national chief badminton coach and Jwala’s former doubles partner Pullela Gopichand!Advertisement Image Courtesy: FPJ/GettyJwala and Gopichand formed the team that National Badminton Championship title in mixed doubles back in 2004. However, as time passed, and the two shuttling icons of the country became distant.The former world no. 6 recently opened up about her relation with Gopichand, and accused Gopichand for partiality in badminton coaching system and also numerous career scopes Jwala missed in her career.Advertisement Speaking to India Today, Jwala revealed aggravation she faced in the past because of Gopichand, and how her straight from the shoulder attitude had bitten her back.“I hold him (Gopichand) responsible for the harassment I had to go through all these years. I am vocal and I have had to pay a huge price for that,” the 36 year old shuttler said in the interview.Advertisement “I acknowledge what he (Gopi) has achieved and I had expectations from him. Gopi knows my potential and what I was capable of,” the 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medallist continued, “He was part of the establishment and he knew my potential, so it was quite natural for me to have expectations from him.”Jwala further blamed Gopichand for favouritism and making the sport of badminton in the country centralised: “If you notice, there were players from other states when Gopi used to play. So there was a time where top players used to come from different parts of the country.”Jwala further stated that Gopichand, being from Andhra Pradesh, favours shuttlers from his state, and is the reason why the Indian badminton scene has a domination of Telugu players or players from Hyderabad.“If India wins a medal, it is because of Gopichand and if we don’t do well, then it is the system that is to be blamed,” she further added.In addition to that, Jwala also revealed facing racism and xenophobia, for having a Chinese mother. She recently took to social media to reveal how she was targeted as the ‘Boycott Chinese Product’ movement gained pace among the netizens of the country.“People have a lot of time to waste on such things, calling someone ‘Chinese’. It was important to call out people like these. So it is my duty to teach these people a lesson and tell them that the power of anonymity has its consequences too,”  Jwala said.If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.comAlso read-Former Ranji trophy cricketer found dead; son arrested for murder Advertisementlast_img read more