Woman claims ex-NBA star raped her during her sophomore year at Duke

first_imgFebruary 12, 2019 /Sports News – National Woman claims ex-NBA star raped her during her sophomore year at Duke Written by Beau Lundcenter_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailStreeter Lecka/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The same woman who has accused Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax of sexual assault says that former N.B.A player Corey Maggette raped her 20 years ago when the two were both students at Duke University.Meredith Watson, the second woman to come forward with claims of sexual assault against Fairfax, says that she reported the alleged incident involving Maggette to school officials, who she says did not act on the information.An attorney for Watson, Nancy Erika Smith, confirmed the claim to ABC News in a statement. The incident and claim were first reported by the New York Times.ABC News has reached out to representatives for Maggette, who attended Duke for one year and played in the N.B.A for 14 years, but have not yet received a response.In a statement given to the New York Times, Maggette denied Watson’s claim.“It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson’s lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations,” Maggette wrote. “I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge.”Fairfax has also denied the claims made against him by Watson.“I deny this latest unsubstantiated allegation. It is demonstrably false. I have never forced myself on anyone ever,” Fairfax wrote in a statement released last week after Watson’s accusation became public.Whitney Burak, a spokesperson for Fox Sports, where Maggette is now a basketball commentator, issued a statement to ABC News responding to the claims against Maggette.“FOX Sports takes allegations of misconduct seriously, and we are looking into the matter. We have no further comment at this time,” Burak said.Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations at Duke University issued a statement on Monday saying, “We are in the process of gathering information to determine what policies and procedures were in place during the time period in which these events are alleged to have occurred and whether they were activated and followed. We are not able to provide further information or comment on any individual at this time.”In Facebook messages obtained by ABC News, Watson communicated with a friend, whose identity has been redacted, about the alleged incidents involving Fairfax and Maggette. The Facebook Messenger communications are dated March 19, 2017.Watson sent a link to an article about Fairfax’s 2017 campaign for lieutenant governor of Virginia to the friend, with an accompanying message that read: “This is absolutely disgusting! This dude raped me.”When the friend questioned why she didn’t report it, she responded: “You know I didn’t report it after how the university responded when I reported Corey Maggette…but he told me he [Fairfax] did it on purpose bcuz of what Corey did and bcuz he knew I’d be too scared to do anything about it.”ABC News also reached out to R. Stanton Jones, a childhood friend of Watson’s, who confirmed that Watson told him about the alleged rape involving Maggette in the summer of 2001 when the two were home for the summer from college.While this is the first accusation to surface against Maggette, Fairfax was also accused of sexual assault by another woman, Vanessa Tyson, an associate professor of politics at Scripps College in California.Tyson, who is scheduled to speak tonight at sexual violence symposium at Stanford University on Tuesday evening, says that Fairfax sexually assaulted her in 2004 when the two of them attended the Democratic National Convention in Boston.Fairfax says the encounter was consensual.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Candidate Profile: Vidal/Devine

first_imgWho are they: Student body presidential candidate Lauren Vidal brings experience to the table from her time in FUEL as a freshman and her service as student body parliamentarian during her sophomore year. A junior Management and Consulting major with a minor in public policy, Vidal hails from Miami, Fla.Devine, a Cincinnati native, studies pre-medicine and economics with a minor in Peace Studies. He chaired the department of Gender Issues in student government last year.Both studied abroad last semester — Vidal in Washington, D.C., and Devine in London.First priority: If elected, their first goal would be to work within the existing structure of student government and seek to foster a close-knit community among members of that group. Vidal said they will look for a broad array of passionate people to lead the departments and then work to get each department on board with their goals from the beginning.She said the restructured platform they composed, structured around the divisions of each department, reflects and reinforces the underlying importance of each department in student government.Top priority: The team’s biggest goal is serving their peers and the broader Notre Dame community as best they can, Devine said. He said they will do this by both serving the student body through their leadership and then providing opportunities for them to be of service to the greater South Bend area.“We really have this idea of service, and although we understand that’s a broad term, we really [prioritize] service to our peers and to our community as a whole,” Vidal said. “For our peers, we work on specific, tangible projects.”Best Idea: Devine said the two hope to continue many of the current administration’s agenda items, including a push for medical amnesty for students. He said he contacted members of the Office of Student Affairs to discuss whether “du Lac” would be up for revision during the year ahead, and he said he talked extensively with current student body president Alex Coccia about Coccia’s work toward that goal.Devine clearly did his homework on the matter and gathered the necessary information to make the platform item grounded in real possibility. He said he hopes to change the tone of that conversation to center around keeping students safe and accountable, not enabling them to behave irresponsibly.Worst Idea: Vidal said while interning in D.C., she worked with a press secretary and hopes to find someone to replicate that role in student government. She said the press secretary would be a channel of communication between the cabinet and the student body and could help coordinate media coverage of initiatives.While increased communication is generally a positive thing for any administration, in this form, it would likely remove Vidal and Devine from the student body. Face-to-face communication and a visible, personal presence on campus would better serve students’ needs.Most feasible: Their “29 for 29” initiative would pair each residence hall with an underprivileged South Bend family, linking students to the surrounding area and fostering a deeper understanding of the Notre Dame family. Both Vidal and Devine said they have worked at the South Bend Homeless Shelter and have the contacts to organize and execute this plan.Least feasible: The platform contained plans for Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol (SNAP) to supplement the existing SafeWalk system. The patrol would essentially consist of teams of two trained students on call to pick up students in distress on golf carts with the goal of providing other options besides walking and protecting students from inclement weather.Because the service would run only from 8:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., though, its hours overlap directly with SafeWalk’s current availability. A better option would be to run the service from 2:30 a.m. to 5 a.m. in order to provide 24-hour options. However, even this is not necessary because an after-hours call to SafeWalk will connect a student to NDSP, who will provide a ride to their destination.Notable quote: “One of the main things we’re pushing is continuity. … A lot of our policy initiatives are extensions of what already exists.” — DevineFun Fact: Vidal comes from a “loud, proud Cuban family” and said she loves to cook with her parents and grandparents. Devine has a twin sister at Ohio State University.Bottom line: Vidal and Devine both cited extensive, diverse friend groups at the University that they hope to draw upon for ideas and involvement if elected to office. Their plans to maximize efficiency and collaboration within the student government offices will help them to execute the wide array of initiatives outlined in their platform, but they might do so from a skewed vantage point of the student body’s actual needs if they view campus life mostly through the lenses of their friends and co-workers. Their comprehensive platform speaks to their familiarity with many aspects of student life, and their previous experience in student government makes them well-prepared to lead in the year ahead.Tags: 2014 Election, Student Body President, Student governmentlast_img read more

Gojek raises nearly $1m in funding for ‘super app’ expansion plans

first_imgHomegrown decacorn Gojek has secured Rp 14.5 billion (US$963,297) in fresh capital injection from seven investors during the last four to five months, paving the way for the company ‘s “super app” expansion plans while attracting new investors.Currently valued at $10 billion, the company raised a combined total of Rp 1.4 billion in its series P funding round from three new investors: Rp 1.2 billion from Jakarta-based East Ventures, Rp 97.5 million from Mandiri Capital Indonesia and Rp 113 million from Silicon Valley-based Pegasus Tech Ventures, kontan.co.id reported.Earlier in February, PT Pusaka Citra Djokosoetono also purchased 5,941 shares in the series P funding worth Rp 2.9 billion. The company is the majority shareholder of the Blue Bird Group, the holding company that operates Blue Bird taxi, Gojek’s erstwhile rival. Also in February, PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa, the company that owns the Gojek brand, acquired 4.33 percent shares in the Blue Bird taxi company from Pusaka Citra Djokosoetono, worth Rp 450 billion, as reported by Bloomberg.The acquisition was widely viewed as part of Gojek’s strategy to manage competition with its primary rival, Singapore-based ride-hailing company Grab Holdings, while expanding its food delivery and digital payment businesses.Gojek’s existing investors have also increased their investment through the series P funding this year, with tech giant Google Asia Pacific purchasing 11,883 additional shares worth Rp 5.9 billion. The latest acquisition increases Google’s ownership in Gojek to 8.69 percent, from 2.59 percent in the series I round of funding and 5.24 percent in the series M round.Meanwhile, SMDV II SG, the Sinar Mas Group’s Singapore-based venture capital arm, has invested Rp 1.4 billion in the company through the series P funding this year. In November 2019, Unilever Swiss Holdings acquired 5,530 shares in Gojek worth Rp 2.77 billion.Gojek released 45,552 shares for the first part of its series P funding round in June 2019, which were acquired by the United States’ Visa International Service Association and Japan’s Mitsubishi UFJ Lease and Finance at Rp 500,000 per share for a total value of Rp 22.8 billion.The ride-hailing company has issued 1.7 million shares in funding rounds from series A to series P, with paid-up capital totaling Rp 689.87 billion. The company has around 130 institutional and individual investors listed as registered shareholders in its updated articles of association dated April 23, 2020. (eyc)Editor’s note: This article has been revised to state that Pegasus Tech Ventures is one of Gojek’s new investors.Topics :last_img read more