Contractors see no cause for concern at UHL site

first_imgTechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! NewsHealthPoliticsContractors see no cause for concern at UHL siteBy David Raleigh – August 22, 2019 342 Groundwork gets under way on the site of the new 60 bed unit at UHL last April.A NEW 60-bed unit at University Hospital Limerick (UHL) is expected to be completed by next April, the company behind the €19.5 million project has confirmed to the Limerick Post.This follows confirmation earlier this week that the HSE awarded the contract for the building to Western Building Systems, which built 42 schools, all of which it is claimed have been found to have structural defects.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Western was awarded the tender earlier this year and signed off on the contract last May.The Department of Education is pursuing legal action against the firm for the cost of remediation of defects discovered at the schools.A UHL spokesman said the 60-bed unit “will be fully compliant with the building regulations”.“The proposal to provide a fast track ward block at UHL was initiated during 2018. Following a public procurement process by the HSE, the successful bidder was Western Building Systems. Funding to progress the project was subsequently included in the HSE Capital Plan 2019,” they said.The contract is “underway and progressing well” and is “anticipated to be completed by Quarter 3 2020 with the new beds envisaged to be operational in time for winter 2020”, the spokesman added.“Strict EU public procurement guidelines” were followed, and, Western “was entitled to bid for the contract and met all the contract criteria”.As the project is “a rapid build”, specialist work of this nature would have precluded some contractors from bidding. The work is being supervised and monitored by a HSE-appointed “technical advisor team” as well as “local HSE Estates staff”.UHL is consistently the most overcrowded hospital in the country, providing the only 24-hour emergency cover for the mid-west region and the spokesman said that the 60-bed unit “will go some way towards addressing the acknowledged lack of bed capacity in the region”.There is as yet no firm commitment to fund a proposed 96-bed unit at UHL.“This project is some years away from delivery”, the UHL spokesman said.Limerick Sinn Féin TD Maurice Quinlivan said: “It is very concerning that a company who is currently being sued by the Department of Education have been awarded the contract for the new ward at University Hospital Limerick.”“We don’t yet know to what extent Western Building Systems was responsible or not, for the building defects found in the 42 schools they built for the State over the past number of years.”“Until these facts are established, I would have assumed current tenders from this company would be under review, and new tenders not accepted, until the full facts are established.“I am extremely concerned that this news could result in delays for the new ward, which is critically needed at UHL,” Deputy Quinlivan added.Former Mayor and current Fianna Fáil general election candidate James Collins, said he felt there were many questions that needed to be answered about the situation.“I’m conscious that the company went through a tendering process and won the contract, but were those adjudicating on that contract fully aware of the issues which have arisen at the 42 schools. We have seen hundreds of schoolchildren nationwide disrupted,” Cllr Collins said.“In some cases, schools have had to shut down. There are outstanding questions in relation to the structural integrity of the work carried out by this company, so we must ask is it right to give them this contract?”“At the very least, the tender award should be reviewed given the large amount of public money at stake, and the significant public interest and public safety issues involved.”A UHL nursing source said they did not want to comment on the circumstances surrounding the awarding of the contract but that they “hope it won’t delay the unit”.A spokeswoman for Western Building Systems said the company, which has operated to 35 years, “continues to be awarded and deliver important public and private contracts in Ireland and the UK including University Hospital Limerick which is set for completion in April 2020”.“These tenders were awarded following extensive procurement processes.” She said that Western had “recently completed work and / or are currently working on other projects, including, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda; a psychiatric inpatient unit at Beamount Hospital; Roslyn Park College; Greystones National School; Colaiste Cois Life and a number of housing projects”.“We note comments from the HSE last year when it stated ‘there are currently no safety concerns regarding the integrity of its buildings in relation to construction works carried out by Western Buildings Systems at this time’”.“We welcome engagement and cooperation with public contracting partners in respect of all such projects, not least to ensure we avoid a situation whereby projects which are deemed to have met contractual requirements and certified as such by Government Departments and agencies are subsequently not deemed to be.”“We will work with the contracting authorities such as the Health Service Executive in respect of whatever structures they deem appropriate as we have also done up to this point in respect of the school building with the Department of Education.”“In parallel, we will continue to engage with the Department of Education and Skills to ensure the independent report it promised into the schools building programme is delivered with a firm deadline for the publication,” the spokeswoman concluded. Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Limerick on Covid watch list Twitter Facebook TAGShealthLimerick City and CountyNewspolitics Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Linkedincenter_img WhatsApp Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Email Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Previous articleFestival: Something HappenedNext articleYoung Limerick anglers learn how to cast at free fishing event David Raleigh Printlast_img read more

Dominica Government to issue securities on Regional Government Securities Market

first_img 13 Views   no discussions Share LocalNews Dominica Government to issue securities on Regional Government Securities Market by: – February 22, 2012 Share Sharing is caring!center_img Tweet Share Flag of DominicaOn 24 February 2012, the Government of Dominica will be the sixth OECS Government to issue securities on the Regional Government Securities Market (RGSM). The Government will be issue a 91-day Treasury bill of $15 million for the purpose of financing part of their operational budget and to refinance existing debt at a lower cost. The maximum rate offered on the Treasury bill will be 6 per cent.The RGSM was established in 2002 by the Monetary Council of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) as part of its thrust to develop money and capital markets in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU). The specific objectives of the RGSM are to:a. To raise short and long term capital at the lowest possible cost;b. To provide investment opportunities for residents; andc. To develop money and capital markets in the Eastern Caribbean.Since the inception of the RGSM, five of the eight member Governments of the ECCU have utilised the market to meet their financing needs. These included St Kitts and Nevis (2002), Grenada (2003), St Vincent and the Grenadines (2003), Saint Lucia (2004) and Antigua and Barbuda (2006). To date a total of 263 auctions have been held on the RGSM with Governments raising a total of $5.2 billion. The Governments have saved an estimated EC$33 million through the use of this facility. In addition, the Governments have been able to reduce the risk of their debt portfolios by widening the investor base and broadening the maturity structure. Residents of the ECCU have also benefitted from the advent of the RGSM through the opportunity to invest in higher yielding assets. Investors have also been able to reduce their exposure to risk by diversifying their assets across a wider selection of instruments and Governments.Investors in Dominica and across the region can participate in the auction through one of ten licensed brokers authorised to participate in the auction. Yields on these securities will not be subject to any tax, duty or levy by ECCU Governments.The Government of Dominica is expected to benefit from the usage of the RGSM through the reduction in the cost of funding of its operations and the enhancement in its ability to manage its debt portfolio. This will benefit the current fiscal situation by reducing debt service costs. The Government of Dominica has the lowest debt service ratio of the six independent countries in the currency union. The debt service to revenue ratio for Dominica was 9.74 per cent as at December 2010 for which comparable data are available.The Government has undertaken a promotional campaign in collaboration with its lead broker, the National Bank of Dominica, in Dominica and in Saint Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines and through a video conference with brokers in Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda and St Kitts and Nevis.Further information on the specific terms of the Treasury bill issue and the licensed broker dealers can be obtained from the approved prospectus that is available from the Ministry of Finance or on the following websites:(i) www.dominica.gov.dm(ii) www.ecseonline.comPress ReleaseGovernment Information Servicelast_img read more

Agbonlahor red card rescinded

first_img The striker was dismissed in the second half of Villa’s 1-1 draw with United on Saturday after a 50-50 tackle with former Villa team-mate Ashley Young, but is now available to face Swansea on Boxing Day. Villa, though, have been charged by the Football Association with “failing to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion” during the game and have until 6pm on December 30 to respond. Press Association Gabriel Agbonlahor’s red card against Manchester United has been overturned after Aston Villa won their appeal.center_img But manager Paul Lambert was delighted at Agbonlahor’s reprieve after he was dismissed – for the first time in his career – by referee Lee Mason. He said: “It is great for us. I said at the time I didn’t think it was a red card and everyone’s assumption was the same. “Ex-referees have come out and said it wasn’t. “So your own common sense told you it wasn’t a red card. “Gabby is playing really well at the minute so we hoped it would be rescinded. “We are still without a few – Westy (Ashley Westwood), Nathan (Baker), (Philippe) Senderos and (Kieran) Richardson – so we didn’t want another one out. “Not one of your big players.” The red was Villa’s second in two games after Richardson was dismissed in their 1-0 defeat at West Brom. Richardson is still suspended but Villa have Alan Hutton back after a ban for their trip to the Liberty Stadium while Tom Cleverley is also available following his fifth yellow card of the season. last_img read more

City anticipates tough choices in Flutter’s pursuit of Stars

first_img StumbleUpon Canada’s sports betting hearings threatened by Trudeau’s ’emergency recess’  August 24, 2020 Related Articles Tabcorp double burdened by covid and group impairment charges August 19, 2020 Submit Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Share Share City analysts are pondering how Flutter Entertainment will sooth competition concerns across multiple markets, attached to its bold merger pursuit with digital rival The Stars Group Inc.Since the merger was propositioned on 2 October, Flutter CEO Peter Jackson and corporate governance have emphasised confidence in clearing all regulatory hurdles to deliver a £10 billion online gambling powerhouse.The stakes are high for Jackson and co, as the Flutter-Stars combination will lead US wagering partnerships with Fox Sports, Fastball Holdings and Boyd Interactive – all dependent on the deal being completed.Nevertheless, city analysts believe that Flutter governance will face tough decisions if they are to secure regulatory harmony on a Stars merger if US ambitions are to be delivered.This weekend, Canadian investment bank Canaccord Genuity issued an industry note to the Sunday Times detailing that it viewed a sale of flagship brand Paddy Power as the ‘most logical decision’ for Flutter to undertake.A Flutter-Stars combination would create an entity with a 40% share of the UK online gambling marketplace, servicing three of the UK’s top seven most popular online bookmakers in Paddy Power, Betfair and Sky Bet.In its note, Canaccord details that the above conditions will likely lead to UK CMA ‘concerns over consumer choice’ in online betting.A Paddy Power break-up would be viewed as a controversial move, as Peter Jackson had previously underlined ‘returning the bookmaker to growth’ as core remit of the executive taking leadership of the FTSE firm in 2018.Revitalising Paddy Power, Flutter has spent significant money and resources upgrading the bookmaker’s operating systems, all-round product proposition and revamping its loyalty programme wholesale.In addition, Paddy Power’s ambitions have been supported by a number of high coverage UK advertising campaigns, as Peter Jackson moves to re-establish Flutter’s legacy brand as a leading mass-market bookmaker.Elsewhere, analysts anticipate a market probe by either Australian Competition Tribunal (ACT) or the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) examining Flutter-Stars potential impacts on Australian sports betting.In its acquisition note, Flutter governance stated that there should be no regulatory concerns in Australia as the company would be against TAB Holdings as the market leader.Nevertheless, Flutter-Stars would control Australian online betting leader Sportsbet.com.au and BetEasy, a sportsbook brand formed by the Stars Group combining CrownBet and William Hill Australia for AUS $600 million (€480 million), which may see AUS competitors demand an ACT/ACCC watchdog review.At present, Flutter governance maintains its schedule of completing the transaction by Q2-to-Q3 2020, an ambitious target for the merger’s stakeholders.last_img read more