Grade: A- Chesley and Smith have proven that the student body can be confident that its needs will be addressed. However, the duo still has a lot to accomplish. They have started many initiatives, which have yet to be proven successful. Considering they are competing with a short time frame and a somewhat apathetic student body, they have put forth a good effort so far. Student body president Rachael Chesley and student body vice president Laura Smith set lofty goals when they took office on April 1, and as the first semester of their term come to a close, they are on the right track. When they entered office in April, they wanted to “be a visible and involved voice for the students,” Chesley said in an interview last spring. Since they entered office, Chesley and Smith extended student center hours, defended the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s co-exchange program which allows Saint Mary’s students to eat at Notre Dame dining halls, started renovating the Le Mans Hall basement and worked for students discounts at off-campus venues as well. It is clear that Chesley and Smith have been working hard to make this year’s student government as effective and efficient as possible. In addition to the changes they are making around campus, they also changed the internal structure of the Student Government Association (SGA). SGA meetings that used to be devoted solely to giving funds to clubs and organizations now include campus issues. In order to do this, Chesley and Smith launched a Finance Committee that oversees funds so SGA can focus on other things. This has been one of the smoothest and most productive years for student government at Saint Mary’s. In the past four years, students have asked for extended Student Center hours, printers in the dorms, a new space for students to spend time and off-campus discounts. Chesley and Smith have solved or addressed all of these issues, and it is only the end of the first semester. The Student Center is now open until midnight during the week and Le Mans Hall basement will be a new place for students to relax and spend time by the end of spring break next semester. “We will reach out to [the student body], and we want [them] to reach out to us and all of SGA,” Chesley said in an interview at the beginning of their term. “We have open minds that are ready for your thoughts and ideas.” The only setback to their success so far is the same issue that has been facing student government for many years: student feedback. While this year’s SGA is far more transparent then it has been in the past, attempts at open forums and seeking suggestions has seen little response. Chesley and Smith said they want to be the “voice of Saint Mary’s” and they have done their best to push for the changes SGA has set out to do for the past many years, but they have still struggled to get students involved with their government.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 35-year-old man was shot to death in Valley Stream early Monday morning, Nassau County police said.Fifth Precinct patrol officers responded to a report of a man shot on West Merrick Road near the corner of North Central Avenue shortly after 4 a.m., police said. The victim was taken to Franklin Hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later.The victim’s was identified as Shaleek Jenkins, of Hempstead. No arrests have been made.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:35Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:35 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenGina Rinehart’s property portfolio00:35The house now transferred into Rinehart’s name. Picture: Jack TranAUSTRALIA’S richest woman Gina Rinehart is now the owner of an $18.5 million Hawthorne riverfront property.Technically she, or one of her companies — Wingfield Ave Pty Ltd, already owned the riverfront home, but property records reveal it has now been transferred into Rinehart’s name personally.The house and adjoining block covers 4545 sqm of prime riverfront land. More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoProperty records reveal Wingfield Ave Pty Ltd, bought the site in August 2014. At the time of the deal it was the highest residential property sale in Brisbane.● BRISBANE’S MOST EXPENSIVE HOUSE SALES● HOUSE THAT SKASE BUILT SELLS FOR A SONGThat was surpassed by the sale of 1 Leopard St, Kangaroo Point for $18,488,888 in late 2016, so technically Rinehart’s property transfer makes it the most expensive residential sale in Brisbane.Records now reveal the properties at Aaron Ave, Hawthorne have changed hands in a “beneficial interest’’ sale to Rinehart.Wingfield Ave Pty Ltd, paid a total of $18 million for the properties in 2014.The property was not publicly listed for sale at the time, so little is known is about it. It does have an inground pool, tennis court, views across the river to New Farm and a private pontoon.Wingfield Ave Pty Ltd, owns a couple of other luxury properties in Brisbane, including a home at Sutton St, Chelmer which it bought for $3.175 million March 2010 and a riverfront home at Laidlaw Pde, East Brisbane, which it paid $4.95 million for in July 2008.
The Cubs (Yellow and Black) in action against Nigeria (Green) on Saturday. (FUFA Photos)2019 AFCON U17Nigeria 1-1 UgandaChamazi Stadium, MbagalaSaturday, 20-04-2019MBAGALA – The Uganda Cubs bowed out of the 2019 U17 AFCON on Saturday after a 1-1 draw with Nigeria.Fabin Kwesi’s side who came into the last group game on the back of a 3-0 win over Tanzania, could not take care of Nigeria on a day that they looked very much the better side.In a first half that had little in terns of goal scoring opportunities, both side went into the break on level with the scoreboard reading 0-0.Super substitute John Kokas Alou who had earlier come one for Andrew Kawooya headed home the game opener 21 minutes from from time.With 15 minutes to play, Nigeria who are yet to lose a game in the competition, drew level through Ibraheem Jabaar.Uganda pressed for a winner late on but could not find the all important second goal that would see them reach the semi finals of the competition.In the end, it was heart break for the Cubs who bowed out of the competition and also failed to reach the FIFA U17 World Cup in Brazil.Nigeria marched onto the semi finals of the tournament as Group A leaders with 7 points.They will be joined by Angola who defeated Tanzania 4-2 in the other game to finish second in the group with 6 points.Nigeria and Angola will be part of the 4 African teams to take part in the 2019 U17 World Cup that will be played later this year.Uganda Cubs XI Vs Nigeria:The Cubs team that started against Nigeria on Saturday.Jack Komakech (GK), Justine Opiro, Samson Kasozi, Ibrahim Juma, Najib Yiga, Gavin Kizito (C), Davis Sekajja, Ivan Asaba (53’ Isma Mugulusi), Thomas Kakaire, Andrew Kawooya (68’ John Kokas Alou), Rogers Mugisha (52’ Abdulwahid Iddi)Comments Tags: AFCON U17 2019Fabin KwesiFIFA U17 World CupNigeriatopuganda cubs