Warning that new city feud could lead to murder

first_imgA NEW feud in the Ballinacurra Weston area of Limerick could result in serious injury, or the loss of life through murder.That is according to gardai who “stressed” that a new violent dispute has escalated in recent weeks, as shots have been fired, acts of arson, criminal damage and serious assaults have occurred.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Detectives have warned that more incidents could follow, and threats could be “made good” if the situation is not brought under control.The comments of Det Garda Pat Whelan and Garda Garry Laide came as they opposed the bail applications of two men arrested in Roscrea and Limerick on January 5 last.Judge Tom O’Donnell heard Garda Laide state that the feud that has escalated in the last three to four weeks in the city could result in murder.Limerick District Court was stunned to silence as it heard that it was of a serious nature with many parties involved.Garda Laide gave evidence during the bail application of two men charged in connection with a serious assault in the area, where it is alleged, that four men, two carrying knives, alighted from a car and stabbed several times and assaulted a man in his 20s.Gardai told the court that they were objecting to the bail applications of the two as they feared witness intimidation, that further serious assaults or acts of crime would be committed.One man, a potential witness, who had attended the courthouse during the proceedings, told gardai that he would not stay in the area of Merchants Quay, as he alleged that he was in fear for his life after being threatened to withdraw statements he made to gardai.These statements, the court was told by gardai, form a major part of the case being brought by the State.A woman in her 40s was arrested after it was alleged she threatened to kill a potential witness linked to the this new and bitter feud.Gardai say that their investigations are ongoing. WhatsApp Twitter Facebook Linkedin NewsLocal NewsWarning that new city feud could lead to murderBy admin – January 12, 2011 538 center_img Email Advertisement Print Previous articleSection of Golf Links Road to closeNext articleMatt Cooper in Limerick tomorrow night adminlast_img read more

Tank out to atone

first_img The Tullow Tank was a top-class novice hurdler last season for the now-banned Philip Fenton and while the steroid scandal was still ongoing owner Barry Connell thought it prudent he should not run at Cheltenham. He was moved to the late Dessie Hughes and is now in the care of Hughes’ daughter, Sandra. Having won on his chasing debut impressively at Fairyhouse he has been below-par the last twice but has been pleasing Hughes at home recently. “I’m happy with him again now and he’ll run at the weekend,” she said. Press Association Formerly known as the Dr P.J. Moriarty, the Grade One has a rich history and has been a constant source of Cheltenham Festival winners down the years. It’s most recent top-class graduate was Lord Windermere, who finished a half-length third to Boston Bob two years ago before winning the RSA Chase at Cheltenham and following up in the Gold Cup last year. center_img The Tullow Tank will bid to redeem his reputation in Sunday’s Flogas Novice Chase at Leopardstown.last_img read more

Currency impacts effect ‘debt focused’ IGT Group’s Q2 2017 performance

first_img Brazil to issue initial plans on Caixa Loterias sale August 17, 2020 Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Share Share IGT ‘prudent on recovery’ as company absorbs H1 losses of $291m August 4, 2020 Related Articles Presenting its Q2 2017 trading update (period ending 30 June), New York-listed international lottery and gambling systems provider IGT Group Plc, has detailed that currency impacts have affected group wide metrics.Updating the market, IGT would declare period group ‘consolidated’ revenues of $1.2 billion down 5% on corresponding Q2 2016’s $1.285 billion.  The company detailed that the decline was mostly attributable to new lotto concessions gained during the period and the sale of social games division Double Down which was closed on 1 June.Despite the group slowdown in revenues, IGT was positive of its divisional performance which had recorded a continued growth in sales for Italy and its North American multi-state jackpots division.Closing a busy Q2 period The technology firm would report a period adjusted EBITDA of $424 million down 4% on Q2 2016’s $443 million, the firm stated that it had to make metric adjustments for the sale of Down Double and Italy concessions.As a result, IGT Would declare a group operating income of $192 million, compared to $171 million in the second quarter of 2016.“Our second quarter results reflect strong key performance indicators for both our global Lottery and Gaming businesses,” said Marco Sala, CEO of IGT.“Lottery growth is benefiting from innovation and effective sales and product marketing initiatives. In Gaming, the global installed base was up and unit sales of gaming machines were higher, as were average selling prices, all supported by strong demand for new cabinets. Overall, we are pleased with the results of the first half, and we expect a more robust product offer to support stronger sales and profit levels in the second half of the year.”Updating investors, IGT governance pointed to the firm’s ongoing commitment to significantly lower the firm’s corporate debt, which at present stands at $6.9 billion (2016: $7.83 billion)“We’ve made a lot of good progress on many levels so far this year,” said Alberto Fornaro, CFO of IGT.“We are lowering our debt and we are enhancing cash generation through disciplined asset and financial management. We are maintaining our outlook for adjusted EBITDA and net debt for the year, and have modestly reduced capital expenditures to account for certain timing shifts.”last_img read more