TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! NewsHealthPoliticsContractors see no cause for concern at UHL siteBy David Raleigh – August 22, 2019 342 Groundwork gets under way on the site of the new 60 bed unit at UHL last April.A NEW 60-bed unit at University Hospital Limerick (UHL) is expected to be completed by next April, the company behind the €19.5 million project has confirmed to the Limerick Post.This follows confirmation earlier this week that the HSE awarded the contract for the building to Western Building Systems, which built 42 schools, all of which it is claimed have been found to have structural defects.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Western was awarded the tender earlier this year and signed off on the contract last May.The Department of Education is pursuing legal action against the firm for the cost of remediation of defects discovered at the schools.A UHL spokesman said the 60-bed unit “will be fully compliant with the building regulations”.“The proposal to provide a fast track ward block at UHL was initiated during 2018. Following a public procurement process by the HSE, the successful bidder was Western Building Systems. Funding to progress the project was subsequently included in the HSE Capital Plan 2019,” they said.The contract is “underway and progressing well” and is “anticipated to be completed by Quarter 3 2020 with the new beds envisaged to be operational in time for winter 2020”, the spokesman added.“Strict EU public procurement guidelines” were followed, and, Western “was entitled to bid for the contract and met all the contract criteria”.As the project is “a rapid build”, specialist work of this nature would have precluded some contractors from bidding. The work is being supervised and monitored by a HSE-appointed “technical advisor team” as well as “local HSE Estates staff”.UHL is consistently the most overcrowded hospital in the country, providing the only 24-hour emergency cover for the mid-west region and the spokesman said that the 60-bed unit “will go some way towards addressing the acknowledged lack of bed capacity in the region”.There is as yet no firm commitment to fund a proposed 96-bed unit at UHL.“This project is some years away from delivery”, the UHL spokesman said.Limerick Sinn Féin TD Maurice Quinlivan said: “It is very concerning that a company who is currently being sued by the Department of Education have been awarded the contract for the new ward at University Hospital Limerick.”“We don’t yet know to what extent Western Building Systems was responsible or not, for the building defects found in the 42 schools they built for the State over the past number of years.”“Until these facts are established, I would have assumed current tenders from this company would be under review, and new tenders not accepted, until the full facts are established.“I am extremely concerned that this news could result in delays for the new ward, which is critically needed at UHL,” Deputy Quinlivan added.Former Mayor and current Fianna Fáil general election candidate James Collins, said he felt there were many questions that needed to be answered about the situation.“I’m conscious that the company went through a tendering process and won the contract, but were those adjudicating on that contract fully aware of the issues which have arisen at the 42 schools. We have seen hundreds of schoolchildren nationwide disrupted,” Cllr Collins said.“In some cases, schools have had to shut down. There are outstanding questions in relation to the structural integrity of the work carried out by this company, so we must ask is it right to give them this contract?”“At the very least, the tender award should be reviewed given the large amount of public money at stake, and the significant public interest and public safety issues involved.”A UHL nursing source said they did not want to comment on the circumstances surrounding the awarding of the contract but that they “hope it won’t delay the unit”.A spokeswoman for Western Building Systems said the company, which has operated to 35 years, “continues to be awarded and deliver important public and private contracts in Ireland and the UK including University Hospital Limerick which is set for completion in April 2020”.“These tenders were awarded following extensive procurement processes.” She said that Western had “recently completed work and / or are currently working on other projects, including, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda; a psychiatric inpatient unit at Beamount Hospital; Roslyn Park College; Greystones National School; Colaiste Cois Life and a number of housing projects”.“We note comments from the HSE last year when it stated ‘there are currently no safety concerns regarding the integrity of its buildings in relation to construction works carried out by Western Buildings Systems at this time’”.“We welcome engagement and cooperation with public contracting partners in respect of all such projects, not least to ensure we avoid a situation whereby projects which are deemed to have met contractual requirements and certified as such by Government Departments and agencies are subsequently not deemed to be.”“We will work with the contracting authorities such as the Health Service Executive in respect of whatever structures they deem appropriate as we have also done up to this point in respect of the school building with the Department of Education.”“In parallel, we will continue to engage with the Department of Education and Skills to ensure the independent report it promised into the schools building programme is delivered with a firm deadline for the publication,” the spokeswoman concluded. Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Limerick on Covid watch list Twitter Facebook TAGShealthLimerick City and CountyNewspolitics Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Linkedin WhatsApp Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Email Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Previous articleFestival: Something HappenedNext articleYoung Limerick anglers learn how to cast at free fishing event David Raleigh Print
Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged Japan to take the initiative to introduce teaching of Japanese language online and said Indian languages could also be introduced in Japan.”Indian languages could also be introduced in Japan and such an exchange would positively impact this century,” IANS quoted Modi as saying after interacting with Japanese Deputy Minister for Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Maekawa Kihai, and teachers of the Taimei Elementary School.Noting that there was a need for Asian countries to be more prepared in the area of education, he said: “The whole world accepts the 21st century as Asia’s century, and to prepare ourselves well, Asian countries must learn each other’s languages and values, so that this century is more useful for humanity.”On the third day of his five-day trip to Japan, Modi on Monday morning visited the Taimei Elementary School in Tokyo. A presentation on Japan’s elementary and secondary education system was made to Modi.Speaking after the presentation, Modi said that he had come to the 136-year-old school as a student “to learn how moral education, modernity and discipline has been blended in the Japanese school system and could be imbibed in India”.An official statement added that from his visit to the school, he also understood the methods of evaluation and examination and how parents are kept involved with the child’s education, and how the school syllabus is prepared.Modi arrived in Kyoto on Saturday and was received by Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Touch Football Australia (TFA) has partnered with etrainu (ETU) to deliver a Learning Management System (LMS) which we have officially branded as ‘The Nest’. The Nest can be accessed via: https://touchfootball.etrainu.com/For the first time as a sport, The Nest will give TFA the ability to talk to our accredited volunteers and target ongoing education opportunities to our membership. This system will let us streamline administrative processes for our course Facilitators and Referee Coaches across the country, allowing us greater reach than ever before. TFA intends for The Nest to be a hub where all members of our sport go to develop their knowledge of the game. This platform will also provide a whole-of-sport education profile.The name ‘The Nest’ comes from the fact that the Australian teams are now known as ‘The Emus’, and we want our Sport Education platform branding to align. For emus, their nest is their ‘home’, where development is fostered for both young and old.Click here to read more.
Five stories in the news for Friday, Aug. 13———NEW DETAILS EMERGE OF ALLEGED FREDERICTON SHOOTERA Fredericton business owner who knew the suspect in Friday’s deadly shooting described him as a “lonely person” who played a lot of first-person shooter video games. Brendan Doyle, former owner of recently closed Read’s Newsstand & Cafe, says he asked Matthew Raymond to stop coming to his coffee shop after he allegedly expressed Islamophobic views and shared his dislike for Syrian refugees with patrons. Raymond is facing four counts of first-degree murder in deaths of police officers Robb Costello and Sara Burns, as well as Bobbie Lee Wright and her boyfriend, Donnie Robichaud.———OFFICERS MAY FACE STRESS INJURIES AFTER SHOOTING: EXPERTSFour years after Justin Bourque’s Moncton shooting rampage that killed three Mounties, police in New Brunswick are facing a new traumatic event that may have long-lasting psychological consequences. On Friday morning in Fredericton, two city police officers were shot and killed while responding to a call. One expert says that in the aftermath of such traumatic events, police officers can develop operational stress injuries, especially those who’ve seen both colleagues and friends killed in the line of duty.———TWELVE-YEAR-OLD RECORDS TRIBUTE FOR SHOOTING VICTIMSAs 12-year-old Josh Cochrane of Yarmouth, N.S., watched the news of the shooting in Fredericton, he thought of the fear the responding officers must have felt, and the children of the victims whose parents wouldn’t be there to tuck them in at night. Cochrane wanted to do something to help comfort the grieving community, so he wrote and recorded a tribute song, to the tune of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” called “A Police Hallelujah.” In the two days since his mom posted his song to Facebook, the video has been viewed more than 300,000 times.———EVACUATION ALERTS EXPANDED IN NORTHERN B.C.Residents near the north-central B.C. communities of Fort Saint James and Vanderhoof are being urged to prepare for evacuation as forest fires surround the area. A 300 square kilometre blaze is raging just 35 kilometres away from the communities. An expanded evacuation alert was issued Sunday, and with no rain in the forecast for another 10 days, it will be a challenge to keep the flames from spreading. There are nearly 600 wildfires burning across British Columbia.———TORONTO SEWAGE SPILL SYMBOL OF WIDER PROBLEMLast Wednesday, a team of environmentalists descended on Toronto’s harbourfront looking for signs the previous night’s flash-flood rainfall had caused the city’s sewer system to overflow into Lake Ontario. And there, in plain sight, floating on the surface was a toxic stew of refuse that had gushed from the sewer lines. Toronto, like most Canadian cities, doesn’t monitor real-time data of sewage leaks into lakes, rivers or oceans. As a result, it’s unknown how much raw sewage entered overflow pipes when the storm overwhelmed the city’s treatment facilities.———ALSO IN THE NEWS— The 42nd annual conference of eastern Canadian premiers and New England governors takes place in Stowe, Vermont.— Federal Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor will make a research-related announcement in Montreal.— Syncrude Canada to appear in court in Fort McMurray, Alta., on charges related to the deaths of blue herons at one of its mine sites in 2015.— Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan in Yellowknife to begin his tour of Northern Canadian Armed Forces locations with an announcement.———
APTN National NewsIt’s a setback for chiefs in the Maritimes as a five-year court battle came to an end Thursday.Mi’kmaq and Maliseet leaders fought Ottawa’s plan to reform on-reserve social assistance.They asked the Supreme Court of Canada to hear the case.APTN’s Trina Roache has the story.