Costa Rica repatriates nine Ticos from Venezuela

first_imgWednesday morning, nine Ticos who had been living in Venezuela returned to Costa Rica after a months-long repatriation effort from Costa Rica’s Immigration Administration and Foreign Ministry.The Foreign Ministry says the individuals — six women and three men — had been living in “situations of vulnerability” in the South American country, which has been engulfed in an economic and political crisis.The group arrived via a commercial flight to Juan Santamaría International Airport in Alajuela.Costa Rican authorities had been working since April to repatriate the Ticos using the Social Migration Fund, which was established in 2011 with a goal to, in part, address the humanitarian needs of Costa Ricans requiring intervention to achieve a safe return to the country.“The Immigration Administration is attentive to the situation of Costa Rican people who are in another country and in a condition of vulnerability, so having protocols and a Social Migration Fund allows us to have a safe process for the well-being of all Costa Ricans who need help abroad,” said Raquel Vargas, Immigration Administration director.Claudina Navarrate, 74, told reporters the day had been bittersweet. The Guanacaste-born Tica had lived in Venezuela, where she worked at a hospital, for 47 years.“This trip has been in part sad — because I love Venezuela — and joyful, because I love my country, Costa Rica,” Navarrate said.Navarrate thanked the Costa Rican government, saying their diplomatic efforts and kindness “were a gift I never expected to receive.”“I don’t know whether to laugh or cry,” she said.Foreign Minister Manuel Ventura Robles praised the “remarkable coordination effort” between the Immigration Administration and the Foreign Ministry which allowed for Wednesday’s successful repatriation.Costa Rica, which recognizes Juan Guaidó as Venezuela’s president, does not currently have an Embassy or Consulate General in the South American country.Inflation in Venezuela may reach 1,000,000% by the end of 2019, according to the International Monetary Fund.The Foreign Ministry says the Social Migration Fund will continue to assist vulnerable Costa Ricans abroad. It defines “vulnerability” as those in conditions of greater risk of violation of their human rights. Facebook Comments Related posts:Costa Rica inaugurates third meeting of International Contact Group on Venezuela, hosted in San José Contact Group pushes for progress on Venezuela impasse Venezuela: three months of crisis Maduro exhorts Venezuela military to fight ‘any coup plotter;’ Costa Rica to host international meetinglast_img read more

Go back to the enewsletter This year is one of re

first_imgGo back to the e-newsletterThis year is one of reflection and celebration for Sofitel Sydney Wentworth with the luxury heritage hotel turning 50. The first 5-star hotel to open in Sydney during 1966, the hotel will mark this impressive milestone by inviting guests to embark on a journey through its storied history.General Manager of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, Wayne Taranto, said: “We are extremely proud of the hotel’s heritage and this year we will fully embrace the beginnings of The Wentworth Hotel with a variety of celebratory hotel activities throughout 2016.”The site of The Wentworth Hotel has fascinating origins, from a publishing house for The Australian newspaper in the early 1800s to a boarding residence. Following a fire and transformation of the building to a hotel with a magnificent ballroom, the majestic venue hosted King Edward VIII and the Duke of Windsor during the early 1920s.In 1950 Qantas Empire Airways negotiated an interest in the hotel site, beginning a new phase. In 1961 approval was granted for Qantas to build a new 400-room hotel next to Qantas House in Chifley Square. The new Wentworth Hotel was completed in 1966 and became the outstanding first 5-star hotel in Sydney.“The hotel will release a limited-edition remembrance booklet and video with original footage of the hotel opening and its evolution throughout the five decades, as well as a selection of anniversary offers for our valued hotel guests,” said Taranto.“We can’t let the year end without honouring the official opening day of the Wentworth Hotel on 14 December 1966. Therefore on that day, we will host a grand celebration in our iconic Wentworth Ballroom. Details of this event will be released later this year.”Over the years, The Wentworth Hotel has hosted many international dignitaries and celebrities, such as Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. Other visitors have been Prince Charles and Princess Diana, numerous film and sports stars as well as the first men on the moon.The hotel’s 50th anniversary offers touch on every area of the hotel inviting past and present guests to stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth during 2016.Rediscover the romantic city of Sydney with Sofitel’s Magnifique Romance Package. For the occasion, Sofitel Sydney Wentworth has tailored this package to create an unforgettable anniversary experience priced from $400 per night per room.This luxurious package is inclusive of:• Anniversary-themed mini high-tea selection upon arrival including Ronnefeldt tea• Breakfast served in-room every morning• The luxury of time, with late check-out until 4.00pmExecutive Chef Boris Cuzon will reinvent some of the most popular dishes in the history of The Wentworth Hotel. Every quarter, Chef Cuzon will redesign one iconic dish representing one of the past five decades and seal 50 years of memories.Throughout 2016, Garden Court Restaurant will feature the most famous dishes from the past five decades. Until 31 March 2016, the iconic steak diane can be enjoyed at Garden Court Restaurant and from 1 April Boris Cuzon will recreate the 70s’ iconic chicken bordelaise.Every guest that celebrates a 50th Birthday or anniversary will be surprised with a complimentary glass of Veuve Cliquot for every three-course lunch or dinner menu ordered.The traditional ‘Wentworth High Tea’ will be transformed into an anniversary-themed masterpiece, especially for the birthday celebrations. Executive Chef Boris Cuzon has created an array of exquisite sweet delicacies bursting flavour and colour such as raspberry and pistachio macarons, lemon tartlets, ‘The Wentworth Cheesecake’, chocolate and lime choux, opera cake and mini pavlovas. Each High Tea includes an exclusive, limited edition teacup and saucer from iconic designer Cristina Re’s new range, ‘To Paris with Love’ inspired by her love of all things Parisian. This offer available from 1 May to 14 July and 1 November to 31 December 2016. Bookings are recommended and subject to availability.As part of the celebration, Sofitel Sydney Wentworth will entice guests back where it all began and encourage them to host their next function at the hotel. To mark the 50th anniversary, for every 50 rooms booked per night, guest are invited to indulge in the renowned Wentworth High Tea for 2 guests at Soiree.Book before 30 April 2016 for any residential conference held from 2 June – 30 September 2016 and also receive a 10% discount on any audio visual equipment provided by the in-house production team. Delegate packages start from $95 per person.Go back to the e-newsletterlast_img read more