A 30-year-0ld Donegal man is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty at Derry Crown Court to injuring a child and a woman in a hit-and-run incident on a Co Derry beach last year.Paul John Doherty, of Ballynahone, Fahan in Co. Donegal, pleaded guilty to seven charges relating to an incident in which a mother and her child were injured when struck by a red BMW on Benone Beach on 21 July.Doherty admitted two charges of dangerous driving on the beach and at Seacoast Road, Limavady. He also pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol, failing to stop at, report and remain at an accident in which injury had occurred.Defence barrister Joe Brolly told the court Doherty had expressed “deep regret” about the incident.Adjourning sentencing to 31 March next for pre-sentence reports, Judge Phillip Babington released Doherty on continuing bail.DONEGAL MAN ‘DEEPLY REGRETS’ HIT-AND-RUN BEACH INCIDENT, BARRISTER TELLS COURT was last modified: February 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Vijay Kumar and Gurpreet Singh win gold medal in 25 M rapid fire pistol event at CWG in New Delhi.India’s gold rush at the 19th Commonwealth Games continued on Thursday as shooters add another medals to its kitty.Vijay Kumar and Gurpreet Singh did the nation proud by striking gold in the men’s 25m rapid-fire pistol (pairs) event.The duo also set a new Games record of 1162 points. Kumar scored 587 points while Singh scored 575 points. The two piped Malaysia by 18 points.This was India’s 12th Gold medal and the seventh in shooting.In other sports, Indian women archers beat their Malaysian counterparts 223-219 to win bronze medal in the compound section. This is India’s sixth bronze medal.India now have 26 medals and are second in the medal’s tally behind Australia.
Chelsea assistant Zola lauds Loftus-Cheek improvementby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea assistant manager Gianfranco Zola is happy with Ruben Loftus-Cheek.The club legend has been impressed with what he has seen from the English youngster this term.And he believes that if Loftus-Cheek can keep improving, he has a big future at the club.”I think Ruben has gone a long way from the beginning,” he said during a press conference.”He has improved a lot. “You can’t doubt his abilities, to play as a midfielder he is learning duties. I am very pleased with him. “He is an impact player, he was suffering when he didn’t play and being recognised is good for him.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
The Government is projecting 2.5 per cent economic growth for Jamaica over the 2018/19 fiscal year.This is according to 2018/19 Fiscal Policy Paper, which was tabled in the House of Representatives by Finance and Public Service Minister, Hon. Audley Shaw, on Thursday, February 15.Continued strengthening of most industries, particularly Agriculture, Fishing and Forestry; Mining and Quarrying; Hotels and Restaurants; and Electricity and Water Supply is expected to drive this growth.This is based on increased demand associated with projected higher levels of employment and investments; growth in external demand for Jamaica’s goods and services; strengthening of competitiveness in some industries, following plant upgrades during 2017/18; improvements in the business environment; the roll-out of major strategic investment projects; and recovery from the negative impacts of flooding and excess rainfall last year.Agriculture, Fishing and Forestry, which was severely impacted by adverse weather, is expected to rebound by seven per cent and also benefit from stronger linkages with the Hotels and Restaurants sector, which is expected to grow by four per cent.The Fiscal Policy Paper indicates that the projected outturn for Hotels and Restaurants is predicated on, among other things, increased visitor arrivals resulting from anticipated growth in the global economy and Jamaica’s reputation as an award-winning world leading tourist destination.The increase in visitor arrivals is expected to be driven by a spike in hotel room stock and more flights into the island. The Fiscal Policy Paper further points to a projected 25 per cent growth in Mining and Quarrying based on the continued increase in the global demand for aluminium, which is expected to lead to higher demand for alumina.The document further notes that the industry’s growth will be supported by increases in the capacity utilization rate at local refineries, especially JISCO/ALPART in Nain, St. Elizabeth, where the management continues to make significant investments to improve the plant’s operations.Additionally, the local industry is expected to benefit from market diversification, particularly targeting the Asian bloc.The Electricity and Water sector is projected to grow by 2.5 per cent, based on increased business activities and housing stock, which are expected to lead to higher consumption of these utilities, facilitated by greater levels of production.
APTN National NewsIt’s a setback for chiefs in the Maritimes as a five-year court battle came to an end Thursday.Mi’kmaq and Maliseet leaders fought Ottawa’s plan to reform on-reserve social assistance.They asked the Supreme Court of Canada to hear the case.APTN’s Trina Roache has the story.
This undated artist’s rendering provided by The Boring Company, shows an electric public transportation vehicle that is part of a proposed high-speed underground transportation system that will transport passengers from downtown Chicago to O’Hare International Airport. A spokesman for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel confirmed Wednesday, June 13, 2018, that The Boring Company, founded by Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been selected to build the transportation system. (The Boring Company via AP) A newly announced project by billionaire innovator Elon Musk for a tunnel transit system that would carry travelers to and from Chicago O’Hare International Airport at up to 150 mph (241 kph) is just another project on a growing list of Musk dream projects. © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Citation: Chicago airport plan is one of many Musk dream projects (2018, June 15) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-06-chicago-airport-musk.html Elon Musk says LA-area test tunnel almost complete (Update) Explore further A look at some of the SpaceX and Tesla CEO’s most ambitious projects, where they stand now and some hurdles to their completion:MARS MISSIONSArguably Musk’s boldest or most far-fetched project, depending on who you ask, is one to send manned missions to Mars. He’s even spoken about colonizing the red planet. According to the SpaceX website, the “aspirational goal is to send our first cargo mission to Mars in 2022.” The first unmanned Mars mission would seek to confirm the presence of water and identify other resources that could help sustain human life. And the manned Mars mission? Musk’s goal is for that to happen just two years later, in 2024. By contrast, NASA has spoken about the mid-2030s as a realistic goal for sending humans to Mars.A powerful new rocket capable of making it to Mars is already being developed. The Los Angeles harbor commissioners in April approved a permit for SpaceX to build a facility on port land to manufacture it.Among the unresolved challenges: How to protect humans from radiation on Mars, which lacks the atmosphere of Earth. There are psychological challenges, too. Humans on Mars, especially before a full human colony is established, would have to grapple with a sense of extreme isolation—and boredom.TUNNELINGChicago is one of several cities where Musk has spoken about using tunnel-boring technology developed by his Boring Co. for transportation projects. Among the furthest along is one that would scoot commuters underground on electric sleds called skates to the Los Angeles International Airport. Weeks after tweeting last year that snarling traffic was “driving me nuts,” Musk said work on a tunnel was about to start. Last month, he said a portion of a tunnel was almost finished under an LA suburb and would soon be ready for testing. Among the challenges for any such project is to secure the necessary approval from state and municipal governments. Last year, a suburban city council approved an approximately 2-mile (3.2-kilometer) test tunnel from Musk’s SpaceX rocket plant to a point east of LAX.HYPERLOOPMusk also wants to overhaul the entire U.S. transportation system. He envisions an ultra-high-speed hyperloop system that involves nearly airless tubes that speed special capsules over long distances at up to 750 mph (1,200 kph), using magnetism and solar power. It would carry both people and cargo.It’s an idea many states are taking seriously. Several have said they are conducting feasibility studies, including Colorado, Texas and Missouri. Missouri was looking at whether such a system could be installed to move people between St. Louis and Kansas City in a half-hour’s time.’BETTER’ BRAINSMusk in 2017 announced a new venture called Neuralink, which is developing “ultra-high bandwidth implantable brain-computer interfaces to connect humans and computers,” its website says. Implants could treat neural disorders. Musk has also raised the possibility of artificially intelligent computers posing a threat to humanity in the future, and he says linking brains to computers could put humans’ abilities to process data on par with supercomputers. Linking technology directly to the human body is already happening, including to help deaf people hear. At least some neuroscientists say putting the timetable for actually hooking up brains to computers in terms of several years is overly optimistic. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Leader of failed MH370 wreckage hunt hopes to search again The Malaysia Airlines jet vanished in March 2014 with 239 people—mostly from China—on board, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.No sign of it was found in a 120,000-square kilometre (46,000-square mile) Indian Ocean search zone and the Australian-led hunt, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January 2017.US exploration firm Ocean Infinity mounted a fresh hunt on a “no find, no fee basis” last year for several months, using hi-tech drones to scour the seabed, but did not locate the plane. Hundreds of people, including some of the relatives of those onboard, gathered at a Kuala Lumpur shopping mall Sunday to mark the anniversary of the jet’s disappearance. Only a few fragments of MH370 have been found, all of them on western Indian Ocean shores. Two of those pieces were put on display Sunday for the first time at the memorial. There is no new search planned, but Transport Minister Anthony Loke said at the event that the government was open to hearing proposals to resume the hunt.”If there are any credible leads and any specific proposals, especially from Ocean Infinity, we are more than willing to look at it,” he said. Jacquita Gonzales, whose husband Patrick Gomes was a crew member on the flight, said there was “no closure until the plane is found, until we exactly know what happened to the aircraft and our loved ones on board.”It gets tougher every year, because we are all expecting some answers.”In a long-awaited final report into the tragedy released in July last year, the official investigation team pointed to failings by air traffic control and said the course of the plane was changed manually. But they failed to come up with any firm conclusions, leaving families of those onboard angry and disappointed. Explore further Grace Subathirai Nathan, daughter of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 passenger Anne Daisy, shows debris believed to be from the ill-fated flight at a November 2018 press conference in Putrajaya Malaysia is open to restarting the hunt for Flight MH370 if firms come forward with credible leads and concrete proposals, the transport minister said Sunday, five years on from the plane’s disappearance. © 2019 AFP Citation: Malaysia open to proposals to revive MH370 hunt (2019, March 3) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-03-malaysia-revive-mh370.html Hundreds of people, including some of the relatives of those onboard, gathered at a Kuala Lumpur shopping mall Sunday to mark the anniversary of the jet’s disappearance
SHARE SHARE SHARE EMAIL COMMENT The apex court on Tuesday refused BSP supremo Mayawati’s plea challenging the EC’s ban that barred her from campaigning for 48 hours. The Supreme Court also expressed satisfaction over the swift action taken by the Election Commission against various politicians, including Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Mayawati, for their alleged communal speeches during campaigning. It said the poll panel has now “woken up to its powers”.For the latest on elections, click: Elections 2019 April 16, 2019 COMMENTS national elections BSP supremo Mayawati – THE HINDU Published on Elections 2019