Dr. Bowah: ‘Epilepsy in Yarwin Mensonnoh Still Alarming’

first_imgDr. Collin Bowah, Nimba County Health OfficerThe Health Officer of Nimba County, Dr. Collins Bowah, has described as ‘alarming’ the continued spread of ‘epilepsy’ in the lower Nimba District of Yarwin Mensonnoh.Speaking to reporters in his office in Sanniquellie recently, he said the situation is becoming worrisome and needs serious attention.He said the County Health Center is making frantic efforts by distributing free drugs to patients, but the rate at which the disease is affecting people continues to rise, with cases reported in nearly all the towns and villages.Dr. Bowah added that the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare is investigating the cause, but couldn’t explain whether the cases add up to an epidemic.Epilepsy is a chronic disorder, the hallmark of which is recurrent, unprovoked seizures. A person is diagnosed with epilepsy if they have two unprovoked seizures (or one unprovoked seizure with the likelihood of more) that were not caused by some known and reversible medical condition like alcohol withdrawal or extremely low blood sugar, according to health authorities.Dr. Bowah broke silence on the issue in September last year in an interview, where he also talked about the rise in rabies (from dog bites) but said the Ministry of Health was carrying free medical drugs for those affected.Dr. Bowah disclosed that he has set aside three facilities in Nimba County as holding or treatment centers for an outbreak of any infectious disease.He named Saclepea, Karnplay, and Kpain as the communities where facilities are located, adding, “These facilities are equipped with manpower in readiness to respond to any situation. Presently, we need additional nurses, pharmacists, doctors, X-ray technicians to cope with the workload in the many health facilities in the county.”In a related development, early this year citizens expressed concern over the growing rate of mental illness in the county on a community radio station talk show program.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

One juvenile hall escapee caught; three still at large

first_imgA 17-year-old who broke out of juvenile hall was taken into custody Friday, but three other teenagers who escaped with him, including one jailed for attempted murder, remained at large, police said. Probation officers learned that Kenny Mack was at a friend’s house and went there to take him into custody, said Officer Mike Lopez. Mack and three other 17-year-olds used bed sheets to climb out of a unit of the Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar before dawn Thursday, police said. They later carjacked a motorist by pretending they had a handgun and forced him to take them to South Los Angeles, where they fled, according to authorities. The driver was not hurt. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 Mack’s arrest came after the family of one of the teens, Isaiah Walker, urged him to surrender. “Isaiah, come home. Call us, let us know where you are. We love you,” his mother, Monique Shears, said at a news conference. Authorities say Walker was recently convicted of attempted murder and was awaiting sentencing. He faced up to 75 years in state prison. Mack, who was charged with vehicle theft, will be taken back to juvenile hall and face additional charges for escape and possibly carjacking, said Ed Anhalt, superintendent of the Sylmar facility. Darral Duncan and Nicholas Pipkins were being held on burglary, robbery, possession and concealed weapons charges, authorities said. Walker’s mother said her son was on suicide watch. His aunt, Moeshea Walker, said he called her shortly after his escape. “He was afraid, he was afraid, don’t know what to do,” Walker said, adding that she urged him to surrender. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more