Dr. Bowah: ‘Epilepsy in Yarwin Mensonnoh Still Alarming’

first_imgDr. Collin Bowah, Nimba County Health OfficerThe Health Officer of Nimba County, Dr. Collins Bowah, has described as ‘alarming’ the continued spread of ‘epilepsy’ in the lower Nimba District of Yarwin Mensonnoh.Speaking to reporters in his office in Sanniquellie recently, he said the situation is becoming worrisome and needs serious attention.He said the County Health Center is making frantic efforts by distributing free drugs to patients, but the rate at which the disease is affecting people continues to rise, with cases reported in nearly all the towns and villages.Dr. Bowah added that the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare is investigating the cause, but couldn’t explain whether the cases add up to an epidemic.Epilepsy is a chronic disorder, the hallmark of which is recurrent, unprovoked seizures. A person is diagnosed with epilepsy if they have two unprovoked seizures (or one unprovoked seizure with the likelihood of more) that were not caused by some known and reversible medical condition like alcohol withdrawal or extremely low blood sugar, according to health authorities.Dr. Bowah broke silence on the issue in September last year in an interview, where he also talked about the rise in rabies (from dog bites) but said the Ministry of Health was carrying free medical drugs for those affected.Dr. Bowah disclosed that he has set aside three facilities in Nimba County as holding or treatment centers for an outbreak of any infectious disease.He named Saclepea, Karnplay, and Kpain as the communities where facilities are located, adding, “These facilities are equipped with manpower in readiness to respond to any situation. Presently, we need additional nurses, pharmacists, doctors, X-ray technicians to cope with the workload in the many health facilities in the county.”In a related development, early this year citizens expressed concern over the growing rate of mental illness in the county on a community radio station talk show program.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Fine for Galway man who parked in Letterkenny disabled bay

first_imgA Galway man who parked in a disabled bay in Letterkenny has been issued with a fine at Letterkenny District Court.A van, registered to John O’Leary, of 9 Cluain Ard, Ballybrit, Glway, was spotted by Garda McCartain parked in a disabled bat at Lower Main Street, Letterkenny on January 20 2016. Garda McCartain, who was on foot patrol at the time, issued a penalty notice as there was no disabled badge displayed on the van.Mr O’Leary was fined €200 and given three months to pay.Fine for Galway man who parked in Letterkenny disabled bay was last modified: September 4th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Disabled parking bayJudge Paul KellyletterkennyLetterkenny District Courtlast_img read more

Tagliabue looking to go international

first_img The commissioner’s ability to convince each NFL club to take turns giving up a home game for the cause seems to be the main obstacle to his ambitious plan to boost American football’s international popularity. But Tagliabue is confident the owners will see the long-term benefits of such a plan, which could be discussed at league meetings this month. Though the league has traveled outside the United States to play exhibition games for decades, Sunday night’s game in front of an excited crowd at Azteca Stadium was the first regular-season contest on foreign soil in the NFL’s 86-year history. Even before the first snap, commissioner Paul Tagliabue declared the NFL’s first regular-season game outside the United States a rousing success and a prelude to the sport’s future. Tagliabue believes the San Francisco 49ers’ meeting with the Arizona Cardinals in Mexico City on Sunday night will be the first venture in an annual extravaganza, with at least one festive regular-season game on foreign soil every season. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “The emotion that I feel most is pride,” Tagliabue said. “My sense is that’s the way the fans here in Mexico feel. It’s a moment for great pride, because a lot has been accomplished in two decades (in Mexico).” Vick injured Falcons quarterback Michael Vick suffered a sprained right knee midway through the second quarter of Sunday’s game with visiting Minnesota after being hit by defensive end Erasmus James. Vick’s return is questionable, according to the Falcons. James, a rookie from Wisconsin, tackled Vick after he threw an incomplete pass to tight end Alge Crumpler, dropping the two time Pro Bowler, who writhed in pain while grabbing his knee. Vick was give some pain and strength tests on the field and, after roughly two minutes, he got up and walked to the sideline. Second-year player Matt Schaub went in for Vick, who was put through more tests on the sideline. center_img Vick eventually walked around to test his knee. He appeared to be fine and actually did some jogging. Record-tying day Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison tied Steve Young and Jerry Rice for the NFL record of most touchdown passes between a quarterback and a receiver with their 85th connection Sunday. Young and Rice combined for 85 touchdown passes between 1987 and 1999 with San Francisco. Manning is in his eighth season with the Colts, while Harrison is in his 10th. Kansas City’s Dante Hall tied an NFL record with his sixth career kickoff-return touchdown, a 96-yarder in the second quarter of a 37-31 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Like father … Running back Jarrett Payton, son of the late Walter Payton, finally played in his first NFL game Sunday when the Tennessee Titans promoted him from the practice squad. He didn’t get into Sunday’s 31-10 loss to Indianapolis until the end, but he finished with four carries for 37 yards. “Now the butterflies are gone,” Payton said. “I feel like the first time is over, and now I can just go out and play. If they need me, I’ll be ready.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more