Virender Sehwag sympathises with Ambati Rayudu: World Cup snub must have been very painful

first_imgFormer India opener Virender Sehwag Wednesday said the World Cup snub must have been painful for middle-order batsman Ambati Rayudu, who retired from all forms of cricket.Snubbed twice over for the ongoing World Cup, Rayudu retired from all forms of cricket without specifying his reasons for calling it quits.”Must definitely be very painful at being ignored for the World Cup for #AmbatiRayudu but I wish him all the very best in life after retirement,” Sehwag said on his Twitter post.The 33-year-old Rayudu was in India’s official standbys list for the big event in the UK but was ignored despite the injury-forced ouster of all-rounder Vijay Shankar.Mayank Agrawal was brought in on the team management’s insistence and it is learnt, Rayudu was left quite disappointed by the turn of events.Rayudu played 55 ODIs for India, scoring 1694 runs at an average of 47.05. The player, who could never break into the Test team, was in the spotlight before the World Cup, but was ignored at Shankar’s expense in India’s final squad.Chairman of selectors MSK Prasad had justified the move by saying that Shankar had “three-dimensional skills”. Shankar couldn’t make much of an impact and was eventually forced out by a toe injury.Rayudu had then taken a dig at Prasad’s statement with a cheeky social media post.”Just Ordered a new set of 3d glasses to watch the world cup,” he had tweeted at the time.He was later put in the standbys list but wasn’t called.Also Read | World Cup 2019: Rohit Sharma is in a different class, says KL RahulAlso Read | Picture of MS Dhoni spitting out blood goes viral. Here’s what happenedAlso Watch:advertisementlast_img read more

Lazio: No Milinkovic-Savic offers yet

first_imgTransfers No offers for Milinkovic-Savic, says Lazio director Tare Sacha Pisani 11:43 5/29/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(2) SergejMilinkovicSavic-cropped Getty Images Transfers Lazio Serie A Despite links with Juventus, Real Madrid and Manchester United, Lazio have not yet received any bids for the midfielder Lazio director Igli Tare said the Serie A club have not received any offers for star midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, though they would consider a transfer if a bid was lodged.Milinkovic-Savic is hot property in Europe, with Serie A holders Juventus, European champions Real Madrid and Premier League giants Manchester United reportedly interested in the Serbia international.The 23-year-old scored 14 goals in all competitions this season, 12 of those coming in Serie A as Lazio finished fifth. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now Asked about Milinkovic-Savic’s future ahead of the World Cup, Tare – who previously said it would take more than €90 million (£79m/$105m) to lure the Serbian away from Rome – told Sky Sport Italia: “The failed Champions League qualification doesn’t change things, we know what we must do and must improve on.”We must put [Simone] Inzaghi in the condition to do well next season, so Sergej’s predicament wasn’t started yesterday but two years ago. We’re talking about a player who deserves this stage.”We don’t want to talk about figures, the market isn’t based on ‘if’ and ‘maybe’.”At this moment we have yet to receive an offer, and when it arrives we’ll decide what to do.”last_img read more