Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 24, 2018 – Nassau – Minister of Tourism & Aviation, the Hon. Dionisio D’Aguilar took part in a Jones Communication Network (JCN) Tourism Symposium special feature last evening, February 20, 2018 along with a panel who discussed all aspects of the tourism economy. Pictured during the production, from left: Graeme Davis, president, Baha Mar Resort; Minister D’Aguilar; Wendall Jones of JCN; Fred Munnings, Jr., Bahamian music icon; and Ed Fields, senior vice-president, Atlantis Paradise Island.(BIS Photo/Kemuel Stubbs) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Newspaper publisher Media General has sold Virginia Business magazine to Virginia Business Publications, a newly-formed investment group that includes Bernard A. Niemeier, the magazine’s president and publisher.“We are delighted to be able to acquire a strong, long-standing, statewide brand that is the best in its category,” Niemeier wrote in a note posted to the magazine’s Web site. “The reputation of Virginia Business is excellent, and the quality of the executive audience it reaches is unsurpassed in the marketplace.”Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.”It doesn’t surprise me that the management would want to acquire it, but I am surprised that Media General would let it go,” Regional Media Advisors president Kim Mac Leod told FOLIO:. “Business publications—either journals or magazines, which this one was—often have shared advertisers with newspapers, so there is synergy and leverage that can advantage both the business publication and the newspaper.” Launched in 1986, Virginia Business carries a monthly circulation of 27,500. According to Niemeier, all of the magazine’s full-time employees will remain with the magazine.Based in Richmond, Virginia, Media General operates 18 network-affiliated television stations, and publishes more than 200 publications, including 21 daily newspapers and specialty niche titles. During the second quarter, Media General reported a net income of $20.6 million, compared to a net loss of $532.2 million during the same period last year.
Ben Stokes apologises for the overthrows.Twitter/Cricket World CupBritish all-rounder Ben Stokes has reportedly stated that he did not ask the umpires to cancel the four overthrows which proved vital for England’s win against New Zealand in the ICC Cricket World Cup final at Lords on July 16. The British all-rounder stated that he did not go up to umpires and said anything of that sort. He further claimed that he apologised to Kane Williamson and Tom Latham.”I saw all of that. I was thinking to myself, did I say that? But hand on heart, I did not go up to the umpires and say something like that to the umpires,” he was quoted as saying in a BBC podcast.”I went straight to Tom Latham and said ‘Mate, I am so sorry’, looked over to Kane (Williamson) and said ‘I’m sorry’,” he further added.The incident that happened during the final over of the tournament decider when England were chasing a target of 241. Stokes accidentally hit the ball while diving for a second run with the back of his bat. The ball got deflected and went to the third man boundary giving England six runs. Ben Stokes flat out of the ground.Twitter/Cricket World CupAfter consulting each other, Kumar Dharmasena and Marais Erasmus decided to give six runs which put England in the driver’s seat. The hosts, before that ball, needed nine runs from three balls, after that incident their target was reduced to three runs of two balls. The all-rounder was seen putting his hands up in an apologetic manner for the incident.Adding to the dismay of the players and fans of New Zealand, England went on to win the match and the tournament. The hosts won on account of hitting more boundaries after the scores were tied in the super over. James Anderson had claimed that Stokes wanted four overthrows to be taken offReutersEarlier, British pace spearhead in Tests and Stokes teammate, James Anderson was quoted by Sydney Morning Herald as telling BBC’s Tailenders podcast claiming that the all-rounder asked the umpires to cancel the four overthrows.”I think, talking to Michael Vaughan who saw him after the game, Ben Stokes actually went to the umpires and said, ‘Can you take that four runs off. We don’t want it’,” he said.Stokes finally made it clear amid all the speculations that he did not ask the umpires anything of that sort. After the end of the World Cup, ICC was criticised by cricket fans and former cricketers from all over the world because of the unique rules that, according to them, ruined the final.
Mexico on Thursday extradited drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman to the United States — handing over one of the world’s most notorious criminals on the eve of US President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration.Guzman is the head of the Sinaloa cartel, which is accused of generating much of the deadly violence in Mexico’s decades-long drug war and providing tons of narcotics to the United States.He had twice escaped from prison, and had been fighting his extradition ever since his recapture almost exactly a year ago in his home state of Sinaloa following his second daring jailbreak.Guzman, 59, had been in prison in Ciudad Juarez, which borders Texas, since he was abruptly transferred there from another penitentiary near Mexico City in May.A US government official told AFP on condition of anonymity that Guzman would land later in the evening in New York, one of several US jurisdictions where he is facing charges.President Enrique Pena Nieto had previously refused to extradite Guzman, but he changed tack after the slippery drug lord’s latest escape in July 2015.The Mexican government “delivered Mr. Guzman Loera to the authorities of the United States” after the Supreme Court and a court of appeals rejected his latest bids to avoid extradition, the foreign ministry said in a statement.The appeals court ruled that the extradition conformed with a bilateral treaty and that Guzman’s rights had not been violated, the statement said.One of Guzman’s lawyers, Silvia Delgado, told Milenio television that she was surprised by the extradition, calling it “illegal” because another legal petition was pending.- Timing: Dig at Trump? -The US Department of Justice said in a brief statement that his initial court appearance would be “forthcoming,” without saying where he would be held.”The Justice Department extends its gratitude to the government of Mexico for their extensive cooperation and assistance in securing the extradition of Guzman,” it said, adding that he had been charged in six separate indictments.A spokeswoman for federal prosecutors in New York declined to comment.In May, the Mexican foreign ministry approved extradition bids from California, where he is wanted for drug distribution, and Texas, where he faces a slew of charges including murder and money laundering.Trump, who takes office on Friday, has publicly clashed with Mexico over trade and immigration issues. The Republican president-in-waiting has pledged to build a wall on the US-Mexican border.Alejandro Hope, a prominent Mexican security expert, said the decision to extradite Guzman in the last hours of Barack Obama’s presidency and before Trump takes office was “not a coincidence.””It looks like they didn’t want to give Trump an early victory,” Hope told AFP.”They didn’t want Trump to be able to brag about it, so they managed to hand him over in the final minutes” of the Obama administration, he said.But Alejandro Almazan, author of the Guzman biography “The Most Wanted,” saw the opposite, saying “Chapo is a gift to Trump” because Pena Nieto wants good relations with the new US leader.- Daring escapes -Guzman’s extradition caps a Hollywood-worthy cat-and-mouse game between Mexican authorities and the slippery drug lord, who escaped twice from prison.His feats turned him into a legend of Mexico’s underworld, with musicians singing his praises in folk ballads known as “narcocorridos” — tributes to drug capos.He was first captured in Guatemala in 1993, only to escape from a maximum-security prison in western Mexico in 2001 by hiding in a laundry cart.Marines backed by the US Drug Enforcement Administration arrested him in February 2014 in the Sinaloa resort of Mazatlan, where he was staying with his wife and twin daughters.Pena Nieto insisted at the time that Guzman would face justice at home.But Guzman escaped from prison again in spectacular fashion just 17 months later.His henchmen had dug a 1.5-kilometer (one-mile) tunnel that opened into his cell’s shower at the Altiplano prison near Mexico City, allowing him to slip out and flee on a remodeled motorbike that was fitted on tracks.Guzman was recaptured in the Sinaloa town of Los Mochis in January 2016.Authorities said they tracked him down after Guzman held a clandestine meeting with US actor Sean Penn and Mexican-American actress Kate del Castillo a few months earlier.Officials were able to intercept flirtatious text messages that Guzman sent to the actress.After he was arrested again, Pena Nieto ordered officials to speed up the process.Guzman’s arrest likely leaves his long-time associate, Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada, at the helm of the Sinaloa cartel, giving continuity to the powerful gang.But Raul Benitez Manaut, a security expert at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, said the extradition “definitely weakens the Sinaloa cartel.”Guzman’s sons, Archivaldo Ivan and Jesus Alfredo Guzman, may harbor their own ambitions.”There will be an internal fight between his sons and the sons of other of the founders,” Benitez Manaut said. “It could be violent — or maybe it could be peaceful.”
In this still from a video provided by Venezolana de Television, presiden Nicolas Maduro, center, delivers his speech as his wife Cilia Flores winces and looks up after being startled by and explosion, in Caracas, Venezuela on 4 August. Photo: APSix “terrorists and hired killers” have been arrested in Venezuela accused of trying to assassinate president Nicolas Maduro in an alleged drone attack, the government said on Sunday.Interior and justice minister Nestor Reverol announced the arrests on state television, saying more could be on the way “in the coming hours.”Three soldiers were in critical condition and four more were injured in the alleged attack that involved two remote-controlled drones, Reverol said.He described it as “a crime of terrorism and assassination” and said that the “material and intellectual authors inside and outside the country” had been identified.Venezuela’s opposition braced itself for “persecution and repression” as the armed forces vowed “unconditional” loyalty to radical socialist leader Maduro, who, standing with his wife on a reviewing stand, was unharmed in the incident.Maduro vowed to inflict “maximum punishment” on those who tried “to assassinate me.” He pointed the finger at outgoing Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos and “the ultra-right wing”-a term he uses to describe domestic opposition, even as a mysterious rebel group claimed responsibility.‘Wave of repression’“There will be no forgiveness,” Maduro warned, for what a military statement said was an act of “barbarism in a desperate attempt to destabilize” the government.But Nicmer Evans, a former government loyalist and now leader of the opposition Frente Amplio party, said he feared the government’s measures “open the door to persecution and a wave of repression.”Those worries came as defense minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez voiced the military’s “unconditional and unrestricted loyalty to our commander in chief.”Army general Padrino Lopez described Saturday’s incident as “an aggression against the military” aimed at provoking regime change “through unconstitutional means.”Attorney general Tarek William Saab said the names of those arrested would be published on Monday.The alleged attack involved two drones, each carrying a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of plastic explosive C4, which Reverol said on state television is “capable of causing effective damage over a 50-meter (164 feet) radius.”He said one drone flew over the tribune where Maduro was giving a speech but that it became “disoriented by signal-inhibiting equipment” and was thus “activated outside the assassins’ planned perimeter.”The second drone lost control and crashed into a nearby building, Reverol added.State television images showed Maduro looking up with a start after hearing a bang, as National Guardsmen lined up in the parade scattered in fright.No drones could be seen in the television broadcast, which showed bodyguards jumping in front of Maduro to protect him with flexible ballistic shields. The broadcast was quickly cut.Maduro ‘has to fall’Once back in the presidential palace, Maduro said he had “no doubt” that Colombia’s Santos-a Nobel Peace Prize winner who negotiated a historic peace accord with Marxist guerrillas FARC-was “behind the attack.”Santos, who is due to hand over power to the hardline right-winger and vocal Maduro critic Ivan Duque on Tuesday, had said this week that the Venezuelan “regime has to fall” and that he could “see it happening in the near future.”Colombia’s Foreign Ministry denied involvement, calling the allegations “absurd.”Maduro said investigations pointed to financial backers who “live in the United States, in the state of Florida. I hope that President Donald Trump is ready to fight these terrorist groups.”US national security advisor John Bolton insisted Sunday that there was “no US government involvement” and even suggested on “Fox News Sunday” that the incident could have been “a pretext set up by the regime itself.”Late Saturday, a rebel group calling itself the National Movement of Soldiers in T-Shirts claimed responsibility in a statement passed to US-based opposition journalist Patricia Poleo, who read it on her YouTube channel.“We cannot tolerate that the population is suffering from hunger, that the sick do not have medicine, that the currency has no value, or that the education system neither educates nor teaches, only indoctrinating communism,” said the statement, accusing the regime of having “made public office an obscene way to get rich.”A collapsing economyOn Saturday, a policeman who requested anonymity told AFP that drones may have been released from a nearby apartment that suffered a fire after one exploded. However, other accounts blamed the fire on the accidental explosion of a gas cylinder.Maduro’s allies Cuba and Bolivia condemned the incident, as did Russia.Last year, 125 people were killed over four months of violent clashes between anti-Maduro protesters and armed forces.Maduro, a 55-year-old former bus driver, has remained in power despite a collapsing economy and a long-running political crisis, thanks in large part to unwavering support from the military.Hundreds of thousands have fled the country due to food and medicine shortages and hyperinflation that the International Monetary Fund says could reach one million percent this year.Maduro often accuses the opposition and the United States of working together to topple him.