Could Tokyo Olympics 2021 be in doubt? Survey shows disgruntlement in Japanese companies

first_img 3 weeks ago Hoge in four-way tie for Wyndham lead after two rounds 3 weeks ago UK’s Princess Anne to mark 70th birthday in low-key fashion SUBSCRIBE TO US First Published: 21st August, 2020 18:37 IST Last Updated: 21st August, 2020 18:37 IST Could Tokyo Olympics 2021 Be In Doubt? Survey Shows Disgruntlement In Japanese Companies Tokyo Olympics 2021 could be in trouble after a survey conducted by Tokyo Shoko Research showed half of the Japanese companies want it cancelled/postponed again COMMENT WE RECOMMEND 3 weeks ago Events around the UK mark 75th anniversary of VJ Day LIVE TVcenter_img WATCH US LIVE 2 weeks ago National Sports Award’s dignity has to be maintained: Sushil Kumar 2 weeks ago Narsingh Yadav returns to national wrestling as Olympics hopeful after 4-year doping ban Written By Sporting activities worldwide came to a standstill in March due to COVID-19 pandemic with players been forced to put themselves under self-isolation. One major sporting event that received a major setback was the Tokyo Olympics which was earlier scheduled to take place from July 24 to August 9 this year.Also Read: Tokyo Olympics 2021 To Cost IOC Additional $800 Million: Thomas BachWhile the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to postpone the Olympics until next year, a recent survey suggests that half of the Japanese companies want the Tokyo Olympics 2021 to be cancelled or postponed again. Back in March, a report emerged claiming that Japan is officially spending close to $12.6 billion to organise the Olympic Games, but a national audit put the figure at more than twice that figure. Also Read: Usain Bolt Net Worth, Records, Personal Life And THAT 9.58 Second FeatTokyo Olympics 2021: A number of Japanese companies want Olympics postponed Japanese news agency kyodo on Thursday reported that in the online survey done by Tokyo Shoko Research, which covered 12,857 companies, 27.8% want the Tokyo Olympics 2021 to be cancelled while 25.8% said the Olympic Games should be postponed again. The report further states that Xinhua has claimed that a combined 53.6% of the responding firms are against holding the Olympic Games from July 23 to August 8, 2021.Also Read: Thom Brennaman Suspended From NFL Broadcasting Team After Using An anti-gay Slur On Air The report further states that the survey, which was conducted between July 28 and August 11, shows that 46.2% want the Olympic Games to go ahead in some way while 22.5 % are in favour of holding the Tokyo Olympics 2021 as planned. Another 18.4% want Tokyo Olympics 2021 to be held but with fewer spectators, while 5.3% want the Olympic Games to be held without any spectators.Also Read: Conor McGregor To Return To UFC? Irish Star Drops Hint On Diaz Rematch Anniversary PostPV Sindhu and Sushil Kumar eye glory at Tokyo Olympics 2021 Back in 2016, when the Olympics were held in Rio, Brazil, Indian badminton star PV Sindhu made the country proud by winning a silver medal in the singles event. Sindhu was all set to fight for a gold medal at this year’s Tokyo Olympics 2021. However, with COVID-19 forcing the Olympic Games to be postponed, PV Sindhu welcomed the move, saying that nothing is more important than human life.On the other hand, Sushil Kumar could be playing in his final Olympic Games and the wrestler will look to sign off in style. The 37-year-old was struggling to make the cut for Tokyo Olympics 2021, however, the postponement of the event due to COVID-19 has only given him another chance to have a shot at winning a medal. Image credits: Olympics/Instagram FOLLOW US Suraj Alva last_img read more

Jamaica’s U-17s meet Canada’s U-17s today

first_imgJamaica’s national Under-17 squad will continue preparations for their 12- team CONCACAF Qualifiers next April in Panama with warm-up games this week against Canada’s Under-17s in back-to back matches.The Jamaica Under-17s will first take on Canada today at Winchester park on North Street, Kingston. Start time is 3 p.m.The second encounter will be on Tuesday at the University of the West Indies Mona Bowl at 3 p.m.A total of 26 players were called up for a November 25-30 training camp to face the Canadians.Yesterday, the Canadians had their first local training exercise at the Jamaica Football Federation’s Technical Centre.The Canadian U-17 team has been accompanied by an eight-member coaching staff.There is no entrance fee for the public to attend both games.last_img